• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

struggling

Tilly92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 2 have had Pets at Home nuggets for5 years.The company have changed the format ,the girls refuse to eat them. After reading the information here I tried to entice them with Burgess nuggets .. a big fat no. Is it essential that they eat nuggets ?

No it isn’t - hay is most important - if you give pellets/ nuggets it would only be a tablespoon daily. My boys are a bit hit and miss with their nuggets. They would only eat PAH pellets but I’ve switched them to the PAH selective grain free pellets that they’ll eat. Did you gradually switch them over ? Going from one type to another isn’t a good idea as they need to get used to the new type.

No it isn’t - hay is most important - if you give pellets/ nuggets it would only be a tablespoon daily. My boys are a bit hit and miss with their nuggets. They would only eat PAH pellets but I’ve switched them to the PAH selective grain free pellets that they’ll eat. Did you gradually switch them over ? Going from one type to another isn’t a good idea as they need to get used to the new type.
I introduced the new nuggets very slowly...with no success . They do not eat many nuggets compared to friend's pigs so i will continue to supply them and see what happens

I agree with the others. They aren’t absolutely essential but they do bridge the gap in any nutrition. If you give a good variety of veggies and forages then they should be able to get what they need.
My piggies have pellets three times a week but otherwise they get veg and some dried forage daily. Fresh forage when I can get it.

My 2 have had Pets at Home nuggets for5 years.The company have changed the format ,the girls refuse to eat them. After reading the information here I tried to entice them with Burgess nuggets .. a big fat no. Is it essential that they eat nuggets ?
My piggies eat their pellets, about 1/3 cup between 2 of them, most of the time. I have found that if I give them a bigger portion of fresh foods they are less interested in their pellets. My vet stated I should limit their veggies to about 1 cup a day, mostly green leafy stuff, so they still have an appetite for the pellets, which provide good nutrition. I also feed the fresh foods at night and pellets in the morning, so by then they have an appetite for them. The pellets are usually mostly gone by the evening meal, but I notice if I give them a bigger portion of fresh food they either ignore their pellets or don't each much. Of course they always have plenty of hay, day and night.

My piggies eat their pellets, about 1/3 cup between 2 of them, most of the time. I have found that if I give them a bigger portion of fresh foods they are less interested in their pellets. My vet stated I should limit their veggies to about 1 cup a day, mostly green leafy stuff, so they still have an appetite for the pellets, which provide good nutrition. I also feed the fresh foods at night and pellets in the morning, so by then they have an appetite for them. The pellets are usually mostly gone by the evening meal, but I notice if I give them a bigger portion of fresh food they either ignore their pellets or don't each much. Of course they always have plenty of hay, day and night.

That’s rather different to the advice here.
Yes, veg is one cup per pig per day but it’s not to encourage an appetite for pellets. Pellets are the least important and in fact expendable part of the diet. They contain a lot of fillers often with ingredients which aren’t healthy and contribute staggeringly high levels of calcium to the diet which can promote bladder problems and stone formation.
Its recommended to only give one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day (if Google has converted correctly your 1/3 of a cup comes to just over 4 imperial tablespoons meaning each piggy is getting twice the recommended amount of pellets).
They do serve a purpose in ensuring any gaps in nutrients are bridged, but it is entirely doable to never feed pellets and give them a healthy balanced diet through a good variety of veg and forages. Veg being more important in the diet than pellets.
We also don’t recommend leaving them with access to pellets throughout the day.

Last edited:
That’s rather different to the advice here.
Yes, veg is one cup per pig per day but it’s not to encourage an appetite for pellets. Pellets are the least important and in fact expendable part of the diet. They contain a lot of fillers often with ingredients which aren’t healthy and contribute staggeringly high levels of calcium to the diet which can promote bladder problems and stone formation.
Its recommended to only give one tablespoon of pellets per pig per day (if Google has converted correctly your 1/3 of a cup comes to just over 4 imperial tablespoons meaning each piggy is getting twice the recommended amount of pellets).
They do serve a purpose in ensuring any gaps in nutrients are bridged, but it is entirely doable to never feed pellets and give them a healthy balanced diet through a good variety of veg and forages. Veg being more important in the diet than pellets.
We also don’t recommend leaving them with access to pellets throughout the

Back