• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stubbins is poorly...again?

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
I woke up this morning to find a lot of diarrhea in the piggy room. I can't know for sure who it was, but I have my suspicions that Stubbins is unwell again.
Last night, she was sneezing quite a bit. She was also puffed into a ball (which I know can be a sign of pain). I am unsure of what to do, however, as she usually only holds the position for a few seconds. Last night, she was puffed into a ball and then started to fall asleep, which concerned me.
She is eating her hay and drinking normally. I am super concerned that last month's illness is coming back. I am going to call the vet tomorrow (they are closed on Sundays).
I am crossing my fingers that she gets better.
:(

These things always happen at weekends! Hopefully you can get an emergency same day appointment with your vet. I know my vet has a certain number set aside each day for emergencies.

Thank you so much. 💕
I am going to weigh all of the piggies daily (just in case one of the others in poorly).

Ah I hope the lovely Stubbins will be ok - you know what to do til she sees the vet - sending lots of healing vibes 🥰

I am very sorry that you are dealing with a repeat of bloat and deja poo!

Unfortunately these digestive problems can sometimes have a tendency to flare up again and again. There may be an underlying issue that is causing them that has not shown up yet. :(
Please follow the protocol from last time.

Hi! :)
Would it be a good idea to give Stubbins Bene-bac without a vet recommendation (to bridge the wait until tomorrow)?
I would never give medication without a recommendation, but what about a probiotic?
She has lost 23 grams, but that is normal in terms of bladder fluctuation, right?

Would it be a good idea to give Stubbins Bene-bac without a vet recommendation (to bridge the wait until tomorrow)?
I would never give medication without a recommendation, but what about a probiotic?
She has lost 23 grams, but that is normal in terms of bladder fluctuation, right?

You can give probiotics and poo soup without vet advice if your piggy is not well.

The difference between a full and an empty bladder is 10g; that between before and after a dinner about 30-40g. The daily weight swings in around 30g band throughout the day. We talk of weight loss only after about 50g. ;)

All the best!

I called the vet this morning. The nurse told me to continue giving Stubbins Bene-bac for the next 24-48 hours to see if she improves. If not, we are going to bring her in on Saturday (the soonest date with available appointments). :)

I noticed last night and into this morning that Stubbins is eating her fleece. Not just tugging on it, but actually eating the fleece material. Is she using this as a mechanism to try and soothe her stomach? The only other time I saw her do this was last month (when she was having her last diarrhea problem).

I just found 3-4 blood droplets in the piggy room (similarly to the last time that Stubbins was not feeling well).
I cannot call the vets yet, as they do not open until 9:00.
I am panicking quite a bit. When I called on Monday, the nurse told me that the absolute soonest date that they could see Stubbins would be on Saturday. I only have two exotic vets in my area, but one has closed due to the virus.
Any advice is much appreciated and needed.
Thank you.

Back