Stuck In A Bit Of A Rut With Food...

Status
Not open for further replies.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I seem to be stuck with food... I have been buying peppers, cucumber, romaine lettuce, green beans and spring greens.. They have had a tiny bit of carrot too.. Should i be buying more variety ? I wish i had a menu plan for them :help:

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There is the ic diet which is per pig and is fed twice daily
It includes :
Slice of cucumber
A green bean
A sprig of coriander
A bit of spring greens
A bit of green pepper

It is supposed to control calcium intake I think and prevent sludge.
Hope I haven't forgotten anything!

I don't use this as my parents refuse to buy expensive things for piggies.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I feed a variety at the correct quantities per week which include: Romaine lettuce, little gem lettuce, mixed leaf lettuce, rocket, parsley, coriander, carrot, corn on the cob, spring greens, cucumber, celery, cabbage, peppers, kale and fruits as the odd treat :)

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i think some more variety would be good. i try to feed a wide variety of mainly leafy greens but rotate as much as possible.

mollie can only have lettuces at the moment so she isn't a great example! but she currently has: cos lettuce, red mini cos lettuce, curly leaf lettuce and sweet gem lettuce. these seem the best ones at the moment although she has also had others in the past aswell :)

benjie on the other hand is used to all these foods and we rotate as much as possible with him, and adjust for extra gassy ones, higher calcium ones, etc etc...!

so the lettuces as above, and then other herbs and leafy greens (coriander, parsley, spring greens, curly kale, watercress and those mixed salad bags) and non-leafy greens he has are mainly cucumber and green pepper :)

i think i've missed a couple out but this is mainly what they have currently :)

eta: i remembered! sometimes cauliflower leaves, celery leaves and pak choi but again, small amounts every so often (rotation!)

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
at the moment, my o/h rotates spring greens, spinach and curly kale for his smoothies so benjie has small amounts of whichever we have in :)

it is hard providing a variety and not feeding too much and having lots left over, but i bully o/h into trying anything left in smoothies and if he doesn't like it, i try and use what i can when i make soup :))

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
at the moment, my o/h rotates spring greens, spinach and curly kale for his smoothies so benjie has small amounts of whichever we have in :)

it is hard providing a variety and not feeding too much and having lots left over, but i bully o/h into trying anything left in smoothies and if he doesn't like it, i try and use what i can when i make soup :))
I would note like to have a kale smoothie, :td:
Any others :nod:

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would note like to have a kale smoothie, :td:
Any others :nod:
:)):)):)) he said it's not too bad. only half is kale and then he adds fruits aswell. he said the fruit overpowers the kale but i'm not so sure and i won't try it! :)) he said spring greens with fruit is the nicest one he makes.

i forced him to try left over wild rocket so it didn't go to waste but i forgot it has a peppery taste and it completely ruined his beloved smoothie! :oops: :)):)):))

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:)):)):)) he said it's not too bad. only half is kale and then he adds fruits aswell. he said the fruit overpowers the kale but i'm not so sure and i won't try it! :)) he said spring greens with fruit is the nicest one he makes.

i forced him to try left over wild rocket so it didn't go to waste but i forgot it has a peppery taste and it completely ruined his beloved smoothie! :oops: :)):)):))
Bet he wasn't too happy!

I was once doing an experiment for school you added sugar to one cup of water, salt to the other.
My Dad was helping me and when his back was turned I poured the rest of a large packet of salt in the salty one.
I gave my Dad an innocent smile as he tried the salt water as I had swapped them on the unit. you can guess what happened next!

I would not have liked to be him for that days!

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you everyone... my problem is i don't buy much veg ( please --- don't judge me lol ) so what i mainly buy is for the piggies.. the OH can share the peppers with them.. i have been giving stuff to a friend at school who has piggies, kind of a guinea pig exchange programme ! so things don't go to waste.. and things come in big packets,.. i have seen bags of mixed leafs but not sure which ones to buy - OH can share that too !

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bet he wasn't too happy!

I was once doing an experiment for school you added sugar to one cup of water, salt to the other.
My Dad was helping me and when his back was turned I poured the rest of a large packet of salt in the salty one.
I gave my Dad an innocent smile as he tried the salt water as I had swapped them on the unit. you can guess what happened next!

I would not have liked to be him for that days!
:)):)):)) mean but funny!

yeh, o/h wasn't overly happy with his peppery fruit smoothie but drank it anyway! :blink: but thought he may aswell try it, especially as he doesn't like wasted food!

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you everyone... my problem is i don't buy much veg ( please --- don't judge me lol ) so what i mainly buy is for the piggies.. the OH can share the peppers with them.. i have been giving stuff to a friend at school who has piggies, kind of a guinea pig exchange programme ! so things don't go to waste.. and things come in big packets,.. i have seen bags of mixed leafs but not sure which ones to buy - OH can share that too !
you sound like me. i eat hardly any veg (only in soup) and no fruit at all. our shopping always looks healthy but it's all for the pets! :)) but i'm glad o/h has started having smoothies so not as much is wasted.

swapping with your friend is a really good idea :tu: it's annoying with veg and salad because it all goes off quickly :roll: we have to top up twice a week for the pets so we just try and buy different each time :)

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
what is the ic diet please ? x
The IC diet is recommended by some guinea pig owners and is particularly good for guinea pigs with bladder problems (IC stands for interstitial cystitis)

The diet consists of

1 green bean
a few slices of celery
1 slice of bell pepper ( rotate red/yellow/green)
1 sprig coriander
1/4 leaf of spring green
1 slice cucumber

,,,, per pig morning and evening

you will notice that these veg are listed in the daily veg in this thread

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
you sound like me. i eat hardly any veg (only in soup) and no fruit at all. our shopping always looks healthy but it's all for the pets! :)) but i'm glad o/h has started having smoothies so not as much is wasted.

swapping with your friend is a really good idea :tu: it's annoying with veg and salad because it all goes off quickly :roll: we have to top up twice a week for the pets so we just try and buy different each time :)
my shopping has looked more healthy since i got the piggies :) OH will eat anything but i have always been like this - not going to change now at 41 :no: i always seem to be buying them something when i go shopping as it doesn't last well and i won't give them anything that has gone off - someone at school said ' give them gone off stuff from supermarkets '... evil... i will write a long list and have a proper look at the veg when i go shopping..

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my shopping has looked more healthy since i got the piggies :) OH will eat anything but i have always been like this - not going to change now at 41 :no: i always seem to be buying them something when i go shopping as it doesn't last well and i won't give them anything that has gone off - someone at school said ' give them gone off stuff from supermarkets '... evil... i will write a long list and have a proper look at the veg when i go shopping..
i don't think i will ever change either.. i'm just so fussy with food and always have been. trying vegetable soup was an achievement although i have to make the majority of it potato to beable to eat it :))

herbs might be a good one to try first. most piggies love them and coriander can be fed often :)

sad some people feed them gone off veg :(

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
whatever i have in, i do vary it so they get different bits each day. they love peppers and green beans.. not so keen on celery i have noticed..

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
i don't think i will ever change either.. i'm just so fussy with food and always have been. trying vegetable soup was an achievement although i have to make the majority of it potato to beable to eat it :))

herbs might be a good one to try first. most piggies love them and coriander can be fed often :)

sad some people feed them gone off veg :(
glad someone else is like me ! Well done with the vegetable soup.. i just like plain, boring food lol but i do have some interesting combinations ( my fav is what my daughter calls a mummy special - tin of tuna, salad cream, cheese, egg and crackers all mixed up in a bowl )..... they have tried thyme and they ate it, i froze half the packet so it didn't go to waste.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
glad someone else is like me ! Well done with the vegetable soup.. i just like plain, boring food lol but i do have some interesting combinations ( my fav is what my daughter calls a mummy special - tin of tuna, salad cream, cheese, egg and crackers all mixed up in a bowl )..... they have tried thyme and they ate it, i froze half the packet so it didn't go to waste.
same with me. plain food. and the look, the smell, the texture and the taste all have to be right otherwise i physically can't eat it! :roll:

:)) that mummy special sounds erm... interesting! :)) i do like dry crackers and cheese though :tu:

my rabbit bisc has thyme as his main fresh food. he can't tolerate most foods but he loves his thyme. he's fussy like me though :))

Status
Not open for further replies.