• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stuffy nose *VIDEO*

Dilly's Piggies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two piggies that intermittently get these episodes of a stuffy nose, they've had it from about 1 year old and are now coming up 3 years old, it happens around 2-3 times a year and it lasts for about a month, in the video is Lottie, she has been doing this for 3 weeks now. I mainly hear it when they're sleeping or eating but Lottie's this time is almost constant. They've both been on antibiotics a lot of times which hasn't helped, they've had chest xrays (Lottie had one 4 days ago) and everything was clear, they're on piriton antihistamines daily in case of allergies, they also get antiinflammatories when it's bad, they go in a nebuliser with F10 antiseptic solution a few times a day, they live on fleece that is washed in non bio non scented powder, their hay is oxbow timothy which is top quality, their room has an air purifier, what am I doing wrong?

There can sometimes be a little clear nasal discharge, usually from one nostril and the occasional cough which normally clears the blockage, but other than that there are no other symptoms other than this noisy breathing. Lottie keeps coughing but it's not clearing as easy as it normally does, I'm struggling to shift this one. My vet is stumped and doesn't know what it is or what to do about it... can anyone help? They do lose a bit of weight when they get like this too, it's no fun. Am I possibly dealing with two heart piggies? Do pigs with heart issues hoot constantly or can they have episodes of it like mine? :mal::(

Has your vet considered a sensitivity to hay or house dust, dry air, pollen etc. ?
Off and on respiratory problems can be extremely hard to nail down as I know myself because there are no tests available. :(

Has your vet considered a sensitivity to hay or house dust, dry air, pollen etc. ?
Off and on respiratory problems can be extremely hard to nail down as I know myself because there are no tests available. :(
Yes that's why they're on antihistamines, dust free bedding and top quality hay with the air purifier, it's so frustrating, they've had this for so long and been through countless treatments... Weird thing also is that these two girls are sisters so idk if something genetic is at play here, but as you say, there are no tests or definitive way to know what the problem is and how to fix it. I have 7 other piggies and it's only these two that have this issue :(

Yes that's why they're on antihistamines, dust free bedding and top quality hay with the air purifier, it's so frustrating, they've had this for so long and been through countless treatments... Weird thing also is that these two girls are sisters so idk if something genetic is at play here, but as you say, there are no tests or definitive way to know what the problem is and how to fix it. I have 7 other piggies and it's only these two that have this issue :(

There are can well be a genetic component involved to their sensitivity. it is currently pollen high time as my own nose is telling me!

Oxbow Timothy hay isn't dust extracted so I would recommend trying timothy hay from 'Dust Free Hay', if you haven't tried it already. My piggy was very sensitive to dusty hay and this was the only hay she could tolerate.

Oxbow Timothy hay isn't dust extracted so I would recommend trying timothy hay from 'Dust Free Hay', if you haven't tried it already. My piggy was very sensitive to dusty hay and this was the only hay she could tolerate.
I have tried that and it doesn't help, I used it for a month to give it a fair shot and there was no change, spent hundreds of pounds on it, I loved the hay though, just not going to pay that much for it if I'm not seeing any real benefit. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Back