• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Stupid Question - How Do You Tell If They Are Deaf?

Katiedid

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ziggy doesn't seem to squeak (although Binky feels the need to tell you everything about what she is currently doing so with her constant squeaks and my hearing issues I struggle to tell). I've been so wrapped up in keeping them alive that it only dawned on us tonight that she might be deaf. She is happy and that's what counts and if she is we will modify our behaviour, but is there a way to test?

They are going to the vets with Jet tomorrow so I will ask the vet too.

Ziggy doesn't seem to squeak (although Binky feels the need to tell you everything about what she is currently doing so with her constant squeaks and my hearing issues I struggle to tell). I've been so wrapped up in keeping them alive that it only dawned on us tonight that she might be deaf. She is happy and that's what counts and if she is we will modify our behaviour, but is there a way to test?

They are going to the vets with Jet tomorrow so I will ask the vet too.

Your vet should be able to tell. Generally, a deaf guinea pig will not react to a sudden loud noise that happens out of its sight, like you letting something crash to the floor or a door slamming shut. ;)

My Telyn got her Welsh name 'The Harp' because she was totally unable to shut up and had a truly ear splitting wheek when she was a youngster - not even the group patriarch could shut her up with a swipe when she kept everybody awake... But there was nothing whatsoever wrong with Telyn's hearing; it was just the way she was! she did calm down noticeably once she got past the first half year of her life and turned into a normal adult (although she would always remain my main fridge door alarm).

I would suspect deafness if they didn't startle or otherwise react to noises outside their field of vision (i.e. knocking something over in the next room.) I would also be suspicious if they don't react to an unusual noise (for example, my pigs don't react to normal indoor noises that they hear all the time, but will both stand at attention with their noises up outside if they hear something they are not accustomed to, like a bird.) It's sometimes hard to know if they hear things because they are not always very expressive in reacting to sounds.

Thank you. I will get the vet to check her. She is either very brave, or there is something not quite right with her hearing - she doesn't startle like Binky (yet Binky is the one who has spent the most time on my lap as I had to syringe feed her - which she loved).

With larger animals the vet may place electrods on the animal's head and read the response on a o scope , l suppose that may be Ok to test pigs ?

With larger animals the vet may place electrods on the animal's head and read the response on a o scope , l suppose that may be Ok to test pigs ?

Mmmm if it comes to that then we will just let it be presume she is and find out in due course!

As I’ve said before I’m here to learn. I have a strong suspicion I irritate you, so perhaps I need to stop asking things and go elsewhere.

No question is stupid and you are not bothering us at all with questions. I learn something new every day onnthe forum. If you haven’t experienced something it’s difficult to know about it. I only realised that one of my former piggies had become deaf when she no longer reacted as she had once done. She stopped noticing and wheezing at things like the sound of a plastic bag rustling and only reacted when she heard (or probably sensed motion) from the others. Some piggies are very vocal and others far less so. Mr Ted very rarely made a sound but he could hear the fridge opening and would come running to the bars in expectation of food.

I only realised Bramble was deaf when she didnt wake up when I opened the door to the room and would stay fast asleep, as soon as I walked into her field of vision she would jump with fright, chatter her teeth and get the right 'ump! She also had no idea I was feeding them until we got her Ebony to live with. Id have to find her and put some under her nose because she hadnt heard the bags rustling.

I thought my Tonks was deaf for a few months of having her, it turned out she was blind in one eye though. She's a perfectly happy (albeit odd :))) little girl with her quirks :))

I used to watch her reactions to certain stimuli to see it affected her and how, but I guess my tests didn't work out too well as her hearing is amazing when I open the fridge, she's my loudest pig now!

Hopefully she's not deaf but she's still be perfect if she were :D Good luck for you all at the vets! :)

Well I'm back from the vets. They can't find anything wrong with Ziggy - she is just quiet. Both her and Binky have been signed off as absolutely fine (given that 2 weeks ago we thought they would die - I am so happy and relieved). @Cavy Kung-Fu funny you should mention blind. My old boar Jet (who the appointment was for) is either blind or almost blind with cataracts, which explains what we have been going through for the past 10 months or so. He is happier with pals so we will introduce them all this weekend.

Well I'm back from the vets. They can't find anything wrong with Ziggy - she is just quiet. Both her and Binky have been signed off as absolutely fine (given that 2 weeks ago we thought they would die - I am so happy and relieved). @Cavy Kung-Fu funny you should mention blind. My old boar Jet (who the appointment was for) is either blind or almost blind with cataracts, which explains what we have been going through for the past 10 months or so. He is happier with pals so we will introduce them all this weekend.

Aw poor Jet! I'm sure he doesn't mind though, as long as he can sniff out those veggies he's all good right? :D

Oh that'll be nice! Makes the neuter worth while if they can get themselves a wife or two :))

Glad to hear the pigglies are getting on ok and there's no deafness to worry about! They can be such a worry :lol: Our elderly lady Cuddles (sadly passed) was deaf as a post! Whenever we dropped anything, broke anything etc she didn't even flinch. We tried clapping our hands behind her and shouting her name... nothing :D Special lass, she was. Still is :luv:

Back