• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sudden arguing

Mo & Stubbins & Vani

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
My piggies have always gotten along super well and have never had any issues!
Ever since Stubbins has been ill, however, Mo and Vani have been arguing a LOT.
Their dominance behaviors include rumble strutting, mounting, and chasing.
I am really worried about them. Is the stress of having a sick piggy in their group affecting their relationship?
Also, I noticed that one of the piggies made a poop that was covered in clear (slime?).
Should I be worried?
Thank you so much!

Hi!
I am really worried about them. Is the stress of having a sick piggy in their group affecting their relationship?
Thank you so much!
It is normal for guinea pigs to show dominance behaviour every so often, you don’t need to worry. When my two girls started showing dominance behaviour for the first time I was really worried! If they are properly fighting and injuring each other, (which they aren’t doing right now), then you will have to separate them.
I noticed that one of the piggies made a poop that was covered in clear (slime?).
Should I be worried?
If your piggies have runny poops, take them off veggies until it clears up. A few weeks ago Poppy & Flossy had to be taken off veggies, but their soft poop cleared up after. If they get full on diarrhoea, they need to see a vet urgently.
Hope this helps :)!

I’m not sure what poo with slime means. Hopefully someone else will be along to answer.

Hi!
Also, I noticed that one of the piggies made a poop that was covered in clear (slime?).
Should I be worried?
Thank you so much!

Hi!

Dominance can rear its head when the leader of a group falls ill and the rest can't agree who is the one to take over or if the new leader is very insecure in themselves by filling a job they were not planning to.

Guinea pigs live in a strictly hierarchical society that relies on having a clear leader. Any change to that results in a renewed hierarchy sort-out.

As long as the funny poo is a one-off I would not worry.

Hi!

Dominance can rear its head when the leader of a group falls ill and the rest can't agree who is the one to take over or if the new leader is very insecure in themselves by filling a job they were not planning to.

Guinea pigs live in a strictly hierarchical society that relies on having a clear leader. Any change to that results in a renewed hierarchy sort-out.

As long as the funny poo is a one-off I would not worry.
Thank you so much! :)

Where is Stubbins in the hierarchy?
Stubbins is actually not the most dominant, but she is always there to break up arguments! Whenever Mo and Vani start rumble strutting, Stubbins chases after Mo (the most dominant), as if she is saying, "Leave her alone!". Recently, she hasn't been doing that, though.

Back