• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sudden Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

likleniki

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi guys, I had a traumatic experience yesterday when a previously seeming fit young boar, (1 year old) was found collapsed, cold with blue lips and gums. We tried desperately to revive him but it was hopeless. He had seizures that we witnessed which he did come out of then collapsed again. There was no evidence of any ill health at all, he had been running around eating drinking normally during the day. Has anyone else come a cross this situation, or can shed any light on what may have caused this? His companion is healthy and not showing any signs of illness so far.

Hi I am so sorry for your loss ,
that takes me back many years , this happend to one of my boars many many years ago, my vet told me it was more lightly a heart attack , possibly
due to a heart attack , possibly brought on by raised, testosterone , I don't think you need to be overly worried , about it passing to your other pig
Though never the less keep close eye to him , just to be on the safe side

Is you other boar a brother ?
If so i suppose there is always the posibily of a congenital problem ?? But I still would not be overly worried

What a terrible shock for you. I'm afraid it's not uncommon for guinea pigs to go downhill very quickly . I am so sorry for your loss.

Aww I'm really sorry that happened to your guinea pig :( Sorry for your loss.

PS - Welcome to the forums.

I'm so sorry you've had to experience this :( Sleep tight little one x

Hi guys, I had a traumatic experience yesterday when a previously seeming fit young boar, (1 year old) was found collapsed, cold with blue lips and gums. We tried desperately to revive him but it was hopeless. He had seizures that we witnessed which he did come out of then collapsed again. There was no evidence of any ill health at all, he had been running around eating drinking normally during the day. Has anyone else come a cross this situation, or can shed any light on what may have caused this? His companion is healthy and not showing any signs of illness so far.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss; it is always a most upsetting experience! I have lost three of my piggies to a heart attack/sudden acute heart failure, two of them at a very young age. When it happens, there is nothing you can do. One died on the examination table at the vets where she was seen straight away as soon as I noticed the first sign; several members have lost piggies on the way to the vet. The experience left me literally shaking like a leaf, so I feel for you! :(

Piggies like that live with a time bomb in their body that can go off at any time, usually without warning. This is more common in inbred or indiscriminately mass bred piggies; one of the young piggies I lost I know was from a background like that.

Seizures happen when the heart shuts down and the rest of the otherwise healthy body becomes deprived of oxygen while it itself is closing down. It can be very upsetting to watch; the only thing you can do if they are protracted is to see your closest vet as an emergency for pts. Thankfully, the piggy is by then mostly out of it. We call it "running to the Rainbow Bridge". :(

PS: If your boy has a companion, we have got tips on what you can best to do for a bereaved piggy in this thread here. You are welcome to post a tribute to the boy that has so sadly passed away in our Rainbow Bridge if and whenever it feels right for you.

From the symptoms, and speaking from consults with a fellow experienced friend who works with vets to improve on piggy health care, heart attack sounds highly likely. Heart attacks can come out of nowhere in an otherwise seemingly healthy guinea pig, and as with humans, though more common in older animals, they are always possible in younger pigs too. I'm very sorry for your loss.

It sounds like heart to me too. I'm so sorry for you loss, it must have been a terrible shock.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss; it is always a most upsetting experience! I have lost three of my piggies to a heart attack/sudden acute heart failure, two of them at a very young age. When it happens, there is nothing you can do. One died on the examination table at the vets where she was seen straight away as soon as I noticed the first sign; several members have lost piggies on the way to the vet. The experience left me literally shaking like a leaf, so I feel for you! :(

Piggies like that live with a time bomb in their body that can go off at any time, usually without warning. This is more common in inbred or indiscriminately mass bred piggies; one of the young piggies I lost I know was from a background like that.

Seizures happen when the heart shuts down and the rest of the otherwise healthy body becomes deprived of oxygen while it itself is closing down. It can be very upsetting to watch; the only thing you can do if they are protracted is to see your closest vet as an emergency for pts. Thankfully, the piggy is by then mostly out of it. We call it "running to the Rainbow Bridge". :(

PS: If your boy has a companion, we have got tips on what you can best to do for a bereaved piggy in this thread here. You are welcome to post a tribute to the boy that has so sadly passed away in our Rainbow Bridge if and whenever it feels right for you.
Thank you all so much for your information and caring replies, it has helped me to understand what happened and a relief to know I hadn't missed any illness in my little lad, he was a Silkie lovely flowing coat and so gentle. His pal is an Angora who has been showing signs of bereavement, we have the opportunity to get him another companion, even tho I feel it is too soon for me, from reading the bereavement advice it maybe best for Sonic to introduce him to another boar sooner than later.
Thank you again for your support and help.

It has to be the right time for you too - but , I imagine you'll be happier knowing Sonic is getting what is best for him.

I'm so sorry about your loss. That must have been so sudden and shocking! A friend of mine recently lost a young pig under similar circumstances- although she didn't actually see him pass, he was perfectly fine, she went to do some errands and pick up the kids from school and came home to find him passed away. My guess would be a heart attack or something similar that had no symptoms and could not have been predicted or prevented... it's not your fault, unfortunately it can just happen even in young animals.

I hear what you're saying in terms of it being hard to look at a new companion when you're still grieving a loss. I've twice had to acquire a new pig in the best interest of my remaining pig when I was in no way emotionally ready to do so. And I know for me, I always had a period of ambivalence... I knew it was the best thing, and although I like the new pigs fine, I didn't love them or feel that bond to them for the first little while. However, over time I certainly did, and although it's impossible to replace a pet we've loved and lost, I got to know them and love them for their own special traits. I'm betting the same will happen for you, though it will take some time. ((HUGS)) and again, so sorry.

I'm so sorry about your loss. That must have been so sudden and shocking! A friend of mine recently lost a young pig under similar circumstances- although she didn't actually see him pass, he was perfectly fine, she went to do some errands and pick up the kids from school and came home to find him passed away. My guess would be a heart attack or something similar that had no symptoms and could not have been predicted or prevented... it's not your fault, unfortunately it can just happen even in young animals.

I hear what you're saying in terms of it being hard to look at a new companion when you're still grieving a loss. I've twice had to acquire a new pig in the best interest of my remaining pig when I was in no way emotionally ready to do so. And I know for me, I always had a period of ambivalence... I knew it was the best thing, and although I like the new pigs fine, I didn't love them or feel that bond to them for the first little while. However, over time I certainly did, and although it's impossible to replace a pet we've loved and lost, I got to know them and love them for their own special traits. I'm betting the same will happen for you, though it will take some time. ((HUGS)) and again, so sorry.
Thanks for your post, it's appreciated. I know I can't replace Scooter, he was a little gentleman, but now I have to consider his wee pal, I have been offered another boar by a friend who is downsizing her pigs as her daughter is going to uni, and she doesn't feel she can cope with them all without her. I know the boar well and although I am not emotionally ready my head is saying take him in preparation to introduce him to Sonic my other lad. This boar is so laid back he is horizontal.....literally! He is the polar opposite to Sonic who is never still, tho he is quieter than usual just now, so getting ready to move forward and hoping the introductions go well. I have found the information on this site really useful and will most likely accept my friends offer fairly soon, once Sonic picks up again . Thanks again for your kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back