• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Suddenly Weak Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neongreenrachel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a guinea pig called Pepsi, she's always been very bouncy. A couple of days back she just started getting very weak, she couldn't get out of her cage without my help. And she kept falling
over whilst walking around. She seems to be getting worse, I just kept her hay, food & water at the normal rate. She's eating, drinking, she is responsive. But she keeps biting me (she's never bitten anyone before). I haven't taken to her vet because she's 6 years old now. And vets are you expensive. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Guinea pigs can live to be eight so she is stil worth taking to the vet. It could be arthritis and she just needs a pain killer. My six and a half year old piggy has arthritis and I give her pain relief twice a day. There is a vet locater on the forum for you to find your nearest guinea pig vet.

Hi and welcome!

It sounds like your piggy could unfortunately have had a stroke or a minor heart attack. The biting could be a signal that she is not well and in pain/discomfort. There is not a lot that a vet can do for those conditions, especially as it is already a couple of days, but you may have to consider having to put her to sleep if she is in obvious discomfort or distress. Make sure that you keep her warm and as comfy and quiet as you can.

Could you please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county or city to your details, as we are dealing with people from all over the world and have to take very different conditions and brands into account. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Hi and welcome!

It sounds like your piggy could unfortunately have had a stroke or a minor heart attack. The biting could be a signal that she is not well and in pain/discomfort. There is not a lot that a vet can do for those conditions, especially as it is already a couple of days, but you may have to consider having to put her to sleep if she is in obvious discomfort or distress. Make sure that you keep her warm and as comfy and quiet as you can.

Could you please add your country, state or (for the UK) your county or city to your details, as we are dealing with people from all over the world and have to take very different conditions and brands into account. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am from the UK and will be adding it to me profile shortly. I was feeding her again, and she didn't seem to bite at all. She can now walk (with a hobble). I noticed when she falls over it seems to be her front legs that go. The paw kind of folds back, and she has to prop her self back up. Could this still be heart attack or stroke?

Guinea pigs can live to be eight so she is stil worth taking to the vet. It could be arthritis and she just needs a pain killer. My six and a half year old piggy has arthritis and I give her pain relief twice a day. There is a vet locater on the forum for you to find your nearest guinea pig vet.

Thank you for your help, I will be seeing her to the vet shortly.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am from the UK and will be adding it to me profile shortly. I was feeding her again, and she didn't seem to bite at all. She can now walk (with a hobble). I noticed when she falls over it seems to be her front legs that go. The paw kind of folds back, and she has to prop her self back up. Could this still be heart attack or stroke?

That doesn't exactly sound like a stroke or a heart attack! I would strongly suggest that you have her checked out by a vet to see what is going on; we can only guess, but we cannot in any way replace a vet examination and diagnose safely over the internet. Stroke victims normally fall over sideways.

It is great news that she is picking up. Please continue to feed her and also to syringe water to keep her hydrated.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/

Unlike with the US, many vets accept a payment plan if you cannot afford their fees and the fees are noticeably less high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back