Super-aggressive, excitable 3yo sow

Sybil

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I've had a number of rescued female pigs for about 10 years. Many eventually had health issues as they aged. A number of them bore the scars of being rescued, mainly timidity, but they all developed into sweet companions--to me and to each other.
But I am completely stumped with this one:
About 4 months ago I adopted a 3yo Abyssinian female (Clementine, or Clemmie) as a companion for my bereaved elderly female, who died herself a few weeks later. Clemmie is, by far, the most excitable piggie I have ever encountered--bar shaking, rattling the water bottle, jumping on and off boxes, hating not only to be picked up but even to be touched, spinning around to fight even when slightly touched (missing parts of her ears, suggesting prior fights), screaming when picked up, biting hard. (I do lap time and floor time every day. I do pick her up once/day but use her cuddle cup to carry her otherwise--she readily goes into that but screams all the way when carried.) I don't think she is scared of me--she comes running for a head scratch and a tidbit whenever I approach the cage. Picking her up is the problem.
About 6 weeks ago I adopted an Abby mother and 6mo baby, very calm, no issues there.
But Clemmie cannot let up with them. A lot of rumble-strutting and patrolling. I know this is normal dominance behavior and, even though I wish they would all settle down, I assume they have worked out a hierarchy. Mom and baby like each other; I think they have issues with Clem.
Here is my real concern, and the question I'd love advice with:
Since these new girls came, Clementine has gone into heat twice for 4 days. She is absolutely unbearable to these new pigs when she does--constantly patrolling the (big CC&C) cage, shoving them away from food and beds, trying to mount them, etc. I know this is normal heat behavior, but for FOUR days? We are all exhausted.
Could this be a medical problem? Clem does not have alopecia, she eats well and drinks like a sailor. But I wonder if there is a hormonal problem? I'd hate to think she is suffering from something that she could get some relief from. Again, I have never known a pig who remotely approached this level of aggression and excitability. Is it her personality or is it medical?
Thanks for any advice and apologies for the long account!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
At her age I'd certainly be asking for a vet to check her over to rule out ovarian cysts. Not all present with hair loss etc as symptoms, for some it is simply this kind of behaviour, and you'd always look to rule out medical issues first before looking elsewhere.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I've had a number of rescued female pigs for about 10 years. Many eventually had health issues as they aged. A number of them bore the scars of being rescued, mainly timidity, but they all developed into sweet companions--to me and to each other.
But I am completely stumped with this one:
About 4 months ago I adopted a 3yo Abyssinian female (Clementine, or Clemmie) as a companion for my bereaved elderly female, who died herself a few weeks later. Clemmie is, by far, the most excitable piggie I have ever encountered--bar shaking, rattling the water bottle, jumping on and off boxes, hating not only to be picked up but even to be touched, spinning around to fight even when slightly touched (missing parts of her ears, suggesting prior fights), screaming when picked up, biting hard. (I do lap time and floor time every day. I do pick her up once/day but use her cuddle cup to carry her otherwise--she readily goes into that but screams all the way when carried.) I don't think she is scared of me--she comes running for a head scratch and a tidbit whenever I approach the cage. Picking her up is the problem.
About 6 weeks ago I adopted an Abby mother and 6mo baby, very calm, no issues there.
But Clemmie cannot let up with them. A lot of rumble-strutting and patrolling. I know this is normal dominance behavior and, even though I wish they would all settle down, I assume they have worked out a hierarchy. Mom and baby like each other; I think they have issues with Clem.
Here is my real concern, and the question I'd love advice with:
Since these new girls came, Clementine has gone into heat twice for 4 days. She is absolutely unbearable to these new pigs when she does--constantly patrolling the (big CC&C) cage, shoving them away from food and beds, trying to mount them, etc. I know this is normal heat behavior, but for FOUR days? We are all exhausted.
Could this be a medical problem? Clem does not have alopecia, she eats well and drinks like a sailor. But I wonder if there is a hormonal problem? I'd hate to think she is suffering from something that she could get some relief from. Again, I have never known a pig who remotely approached this level of aggression and excitability. Is it her personality or is it medical?
Thanks for any advice and apologies for the long account!
Hi and welcome

It is very likely that your sow is suffering from hormonal ovarian cyst. She is the typical age for them. You very often do not see all the symptoms but the behaviour you are describing is the most common indicator.
Please have a read of this guide here; it has all the information, including on possible treatment options: Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)