• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery aftercare advice

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So Brownie is due to go in on Tuesday for surgery to remove both ovaries and her uterus.. (already have a thread about that) BUT.... when she gets home, would I be better to keep her separate from her 2 cage mates so she can sleep it off kind of thing?

I do have a 7x2 C&C but last time I popped a divider in as they were all in a bad mood.. they did not cope with the divider at all...

I have a floor time run, so wondered about popping her there overnight with all the nice cosie fleece houses and soft furnishings...

Trying to plan ahead...

Okay first off make sure you have all pain killing meds you need at home, I also ask for gut stims post op.
Also watermelon, if anything is going to make a groggy pig eat and get moisture it is watermelon...

I would advise soft furnishings that can be taken out and changed so you can keep area round wound clean.
Maybe set her up part of cage to be in when she comes home up a corner, we segregated a corner off with sticks for a post op pig and she stay led they recover in and her ma the s couldn’t run into her despite been able to go and see her if they wanted.

Now with other pigs I would say play it by ear, when cookie came back after a huge operation her friends shunned her it was awful but she was on deaths door and they felt her a risk to herd... I had never seen this before, They didn’t hurt her but they didn’t want to be near her under any circumstance, so I had to put her in a nursing cage for two days till we had got her on road to recovery, when I actually tried to put one of them in with her to keep her company they bit the bars to get away and put - this more than likely won’t happen but I was not expecting it - so maybe have a spare cage as a standby

sending love to Brownie and you x x

It’s tricky with a trio. And it’s a big op. I think as she’s not going to be able to deal with herd dynamics after a procedure like that I would have her in a divided cage so they can all see each other but she isn’t likely to get picked on on her return. Or keep her entirely separate in a small hospital cage. But I’d keep her space smaller rather than larger if you can, so she doesn’t have to move far in order to get to everything.
Herbs, water melon, pain killer, gut stims, a packet of Emeraid/critical care. Definitely plan to feed her with syringe every 4 hours For the first 24 hours at least.

So Brownie is due to go in on Tuesday for surgery to remove both ovaries and her uterus.. (already have a thread about that) BUT.... when she gets home, would I be better to keep her separate from her 2 cage mates so she can sleep it off kind of thing?

I do have a 7x2 C&C but last time I popped a divider in as they were all in a bad mood.. they did not cope with the divider at all...

I have a floor time run, so wondered about popping her there overnight with all the nice cosie fleece houses and soft furnishings...

Trying to plan ahead...

Hi!

You may want to read and bookmark these two guides, just in case. They contain all the necessary tips and information you will need to prepare and in the hopefully unlikely case that things go pearshaped.
I prefer to keep my piggies together with a companion as much as possible provided that they are picking up well immediately after the op, including my (so far) 5 spayed sows. It is admittedly most tricky with a trio and depends on the dynamics in the group and her recovery.

My Teggy is currently in a little separated cage corner after an emergency op with complications (not a spay) where I can keep a close eye on her and change her bedding twice daily because of an increased infection risk due to where her operation scar is located.

Tips For Post-operative Care
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Thanks @sport_billy .. will defo grab some watermelon...

Thanks @VickiA ... my concern is Winny.. she is lovely and they never fall out or anything but she does bolt about so fast at times and barge her way past Brownie and Daisy when they are settled.... I can make the floor run smaller and place everything in reach for Brownie... I thought about the carrier but that's far too small and I gave away a spare cage to a rescue last year 🙈

@Wiebke I will be sure to read those before Tuesday... and I hope Teggy recovers well..

Back