• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery Dilemma - Advice, Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We've just got back from seeing Simon with Nellie & River.

River had two (turns out, three) lumps, one of which was soft and mobile, and not so much a concern, the second a very hard lump on her chest. We had taken her to see a local vet in the hope that they could do a FNAB but they were unsuccessful, and I wasn't happy with their 'treatment' plan, so sought a second opinion from Simon.

Simon is baffled by the lump, he says he hasn't felt anything like it in a piggy and could only offer suggestions as to what it might be (apparently it feels like when a cat has been shot with pellets - definitely not the case with River!). Simon has recommended doing an x ray and then surgery to see what it is, and remove it if he can.

I now have a dilemma, do I go ahead with the surgery, or just wait and see?

I am very worried about the risks of putting her under - I would never forgive myself if I put her through the operation (she's not having any problems or pain with the lump) and something happened.

But I wouldn't forgive myself if we left it, and then it reached a point where she NEEDED an operation to remove it, but it couldn't be done because we had left it too long. Simon's concern is that, due to its location, if we were to leave it, we could possibly miss our opportunity to do anything at all.

I don't know what to do :(

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to say - River will be 5 years old in August, and has otherwise been healthy.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
If anybody can operate safely then it is Simon; he has successfully operated on some very fragile and elderly of piggies of mine, which I wouldn't have entrusted to anybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.