• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Surgery Help Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for some help and advise please...
After finding a lump on roddy we are hoping to find out this week whether it will need to be removed or not. Is there anything I can do to prepare him? (And myself) and also he had an op around 1-2months ago, would this be too much stress on his body? Are they are any extra risks having 2 ops so close together? And what are the risks anyway? Thank yu

Poppy'sMum

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that :( I've got one piggy that has had 2 ops, not close together & another that has had 2 ops within the space of a week. Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you can, I would suggest you get Simon at the Cat & Rabbit clinic to remove the lump, he has removed several lumps on my piggies & he prefers to remove the whole thing rather than take a biopsy then remove the lump later etc, saving the piggy having 2 ops close together. Otherwise discuss with your vet your preferences; I opt for full removal with my vet as well, if they think it is best :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure that you have got the usual stuff for hand feeding, probiotics etc. ready if there is an operation.

How big an operation it would be depends on where, how big and how deep in the body the lump is situated and how long it takes to have it removed (GA/general anaesthetic). The shorter the time he is under, the better obviously and the quicker the recovery. it also depends on the age/general health of a piggy.

I am sorry that it is such a worrying time for you!

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. I am at the bottom In crawley. The impression I got from my vet is that if it turns out to be some kind of growth they will remove it all. It is I would say the size if a jelly bean and in the neck area. Sorry what do you mean about things ready for hand feeding?

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would just try to maintain his weight and health generally before the surgery, and make sure your vet is accustomed to doing guinea pig surgery and knows how to minimize risk. I had quite a sick pig undergo two GAs about 10 days apart and do okay with them, so hopefully that won't be an issue. Wishing you all the best with him!

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would just try to maintain his weight and health generally before the surgery, and make sure your vet is accustomed to doing guinea pig surgery and knows how to minimize risk. I had quite a sick pig undergo two GAs about 10 days apart and do okay with them, so hopefully that won't be an issue. Wishing you all the best with him!
Thank you, I will just keep doing what I am now then.. Your poor piggy, I suppose at least they don't know its coming. I will just ask the vet outright are you good for doing guinea pig surgery as he's very special to me

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you, I will just keep doing what I am now then.. Your poor piggy, I suppose at least they don't know its coming. I will just ask the vet outright are you good for doing guinea pig surgery as he's very special to me
Ask the vet how often he does surgery on guinea pigs or other small animals. Ask how often he's done the surgery he is proposing. Also ask what kind of anesthesia is being used (inhaled anesthesia is safer for guinea pigs than injected anesthesia- they come around faster afterwards.) Try to get a vet with as much guinea pig experience as possible (I realize that's sometimes difficult, depending on where you are.) One of my pigs has had repeat anesthesia (several dentals and a very deep abscess lancing/removal along her jawbone) and while my vet has always said there is always a risk with any surgery, he also has said that he is using minimal anesthesia for the procedure and has a very good success rate with small animals (he treats dogs and cats, but also is an exotics vet who treats rodents, birds, and reptiles.) I wish your piggie the best in his procedure! I'll be thinking of you both!

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you. I stil don't know if he will have to have an op yet but just want to be prepared. I will be sure to ask those questions thank you very much

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
These are my preferred vets (I live in East Grinstead) who are quite close to you at Faygate
http://www.seerscroft.co.uk/

Celine and Rob (both exotics vets) are very experienced (and successful) with piggie GA's/surgery and also very good for diagnostics/taking bloods.
The night vets Hedley and Vito are also cavy-savvy and always willing to answer questions over the phone at night if I am concerned about a poorly pig

They are the best cavy savvy vets I have found in the surrounding area and offer full hospital/24hour vet cover on site. They have treated (and saved) many of my pigs over the last 5 years, some for unusual conditions. I have only had 2 pigs (out of approx 20 over the last 5 years) who have failed to recover properly from an op and both of these were elderly boars with urinary stones and a pre-existing kidney impairment so we knew there was an increased risk but it was either operate or PTS. One of my pigs has recently had to have 3 ops in the space of 5 weeks with no issues recovering from the GA's (injectable). They have also anaesthetised a couple of my pigs with underlying heart conditions - with no problems/issues.

Can thoroughly recommend them for all things piggly! They are not cheap - but the peace of mind I get from knowing that my pigs are in such experienced and knowledgable hands is worth the extra money!

Good luck with the results/vet visit.
x

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Brilliant thank you I will take look. I must say I am very annoyed at the current vet, roddy was seen Sunday and I have still heard nothing! She said she was going to get hold of us either yesterday or today and neither. I have a phone phobia so my hubby phoned up twice (I think) yesterday with no luck and today was told she is currently in a consultation and she will phone as soon as she is out.. I've still not heard back and was about 2 hours ago!

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brilliant thank you I will take look. I must say I am very annoyed at the current vet, roddy was seen Sunday and I have still heard nothing! She said she was going to get hold of us either yesterday or today and neither. I have a phone phobia so my hubby phoned up twice (I think) yesterday with no luck and today was told she is currently in a consultation and she will phone as soon as she is out.. I've still not heard back and was about 2 hours ago!
Any news? x

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well it's now 12.30pm and I still haven't heard a dicky bird! I am furious to say the least. We have had to help hubby's grandparents this morning so will be going down shortly. I can not believe an animals life as such is just being played with like this. I am totally disgusted. Sorry to rant

Teddybear22

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would do the same as you, I'd be totally angry... Hope you hear from the vet soon!

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well hubby has just phoned and was promised to hear back in ha,f hour. Blow me they rung back. It turns out the vet sorting it out is off today so will have to get someone else to sort... Anyway the vet came in and rang us, it has come back as some hair molecule growth but they think it's beign (or whatever the word is?.)
They have said it should be removed.. I don't I like this company to do it, so will be looking elsewhere. Does anyone know a rough idea of a price? It's on his neck in loose skin and about the size of s jelly bean. They have said he is a healthy piggy too

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The vet called back again and my husband has sorted it out. He will having the lump removed next Wednesday morning. And as petsathome should have checked him before giving him to me, they are paying! I just hope it all goes ok and everything

Status
Not open for further replies.