• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Suspected Bladder Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jules17

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have a little guinea pig Pepsi she is 6 years old, December she started to go downhill a little noticed not eating and lots and lots of water took her to the vets she had lost weight, weighed in at 675grams he couldnt feel anything at that time checked teeth as best he could but nothing that stood out she just went off her nuggets, she eat all the fresh veg and hay it was the water drinking that concerned me, however last week noticed a lump on her bottom, sorry I'm no expert very close to her other bits, took her back to the vets where she seemed to be in pain on her bladder she has given me some antibiotics baytril 0.3mils once a day and metacam up to the 3 mark once a day(if that makes sense) she is eating fine her wee is clear no blood her poops are fine, i have noticed that her lump now seems really soft, she has been on her meds since Monday evening the vet gave her the first dose, so what I'm asking to any experienced guinea pig owners do you think its bladder stones I'm hoping its just a infection in her uretha? maybe

An xray will confirm or run out stones. It is possible for a vet to do it with a conscious pig.

In my experience most vets want to try the antibiotics route first before moving on to xrays.

Hi. A couple of months back I noticed my piggy had a painful lump near her lady parts. She was still eating and behaving normally but squeeking when peeing. I took her to the vets and they did the surgery that day and removed a large bladder stone! She was a couple of month off 6 years old when she had the surgery. I was so scared and feel so lucky that she pulled through. I changed her diet and she gets no high calcium veg at all. Plenty watery veg like cucumber and some melon to help flush her bladder out.
It is a worry I know, try and find a good vet who has operated on piggies before if you are going to go with surgery x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back