• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Suspected Uti

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoretikos

Rescue Buddy
Reaction score
Found what looked like blood on the puppy pads earlier so both boys were taken to the Vets Now surgery in Kirkcaldy as my usual vets was closed...£148 lighter and I just purchased a huge TV - oops! So glad that credit cards exist!

Does 0.2ml of baytril twice a day seem correct? I have probiotics to give an hour later x

Found what looked like blood on the puppy pads earlier so both boys were taken to the Vets Now surgery in Kirkcaldy as my usual vets was closed...£148 lighter and I just purchased a huge TV - oops! So glad that credit cards exist!

Does 0.2ml of baytril twice a day seem correct? I have probiotics to give an hour later x

That is half the normal dose that is usually prescribes for UTIs. UTI usually requires a dose at the upper of the spectrum. General vets without much experience often scale down from cats and rabbits and do not take the fast metabolism into account that guinea pigs have.

All the best for a good recovery!

PS: I know that bloody patches on a pad look pretty alarming, but a potential UTI one of those problems that can wait until regular opening hours unless a piggy looks really off and is not eating properly (in which case there is more often than not a bladder stone at the bottom of the issue).
You may find this rough guide here from the top of this section helpful in avoiding unnecessary cost for out-of-hours trips: Should my piggie see a vet? - a quick guide

That is half the normal dose that is usually prescribes for UTIs. UTI usually requires a dose at the upper of the spectrum. General vets without much experience often scale down from cats and rabbits and do not take the fast metabolism into account that guinea pigs have.

My vet is hard to get an appointment with and didn't want to leave it any longer, the boys are definitely worth it. I was also worried as Quinn has had diarrhoea and just didn't seem 'right' if that makes sense.
If it doesn't improve in a few days then I will try to get an appointment with them about the dosage as it does seem rather small. Not sure about what to do now?!

My vet is hard to get an appointment with and didn't want to leave it any longer, the boys are definitely worth it. I was also worried as Quinn has had diarrhoea and just didn't seem 'right' if that makes sense.
If it doesn't improve in a few days then I will try to get an appointment with them about the dosage as it does seem rather small. Not sure about what to do now?!

See how it goes. See your regular vet if there is no improvement or the UTI or diarrhea symptoms are getting worse. iI is very likely that the soft poos and the bloody pees are connected, anyway - guts and urinary tract are next to each other in the body and are not rarely influencing each other.

Because of the diarrhea (is it just soft poos or fluid diarrhea?), I would strongly support to use probiotics and to take your boy off any fresh food until they have firmed up again.

See how it goes. See your regular vet if there is no improvement or the UTI or diarrhea symptoms are getting worse. iI is very likely that the soft poos and the bloody pees are connected, anyway - guts and urinary tract are next to each other in the body and are not rarely influencing each other.

Because of the diarrhea (is it just soft poos or fluid diarrhea?), I would strongly support to use probiotics and to take your boy off any fresh food until they have firmed up again.

It won't be any problem giving him the probiotics as he loves them, the lack of fresh veg is going to cause a wheeking issue, I may have to move out :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back