• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swallowed Clothing Label!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyP&M

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had my guinea pig Pippa sitting on a towel on my bed whilst I cleaned out her cage. There was a clothing label on my bed that she decided to munch on... I didn't even realize it was on my bed, I tried to get it out her mouth but she kept closing her mouth and running away. She managed to swallow it. I'm worried that it will get stuck in her intestines, we've only just come out of the vet with the relief of knowing she'd passed her bladder stone and no longer needed surgery, but I know that this is my fault and I should of made sure nothing was on the bed.
Is there anything I can do to make sure she passes it? And how will I know if her intestines are blocked and when I can be sure shes probably passed it.

I had my guinea pig Pippa sitting on a towel on my bed whilst I cleaned out her cage. There was a clothing label on my bed that she decided to munch on... I didn't even realize it was on my bed, I tried to get it out her mouth but she kept closing her mouth and running away. She managed to swallow it. I'm worried that it will get stuck in her intestines, we've only just come out of the vet with the relief of knowing she'd passed her bladder stone and no longer needed surgery, but I know that this is my fault and I should of made sure nothing was on the bed.
Is there anything I can do to make sure she passes it? And how will I know if her intestines are blocked and when I can be sure shes probably passed it.

It is always an anxious time, but you are most likely to not have any problems. Is it a fabric label? Guinea pig guts can deal pretty well with those. Just keep an eye on her for the next or so. Unfortunately, guinea pigs don't have a vomit reflex, so what has gone in will have to come out at the other end.

If is any consolation, I have had piggies of mine chomp on a length of ribbon that had fallen on the floor without ill effect. They have a knack of always making a beeline for what you want them to find least!

It is always an anxious time, but you are most likely to not have any problems. Is it a fabric label? Guinea pig guts can deal pretty well with those. Just keep an eye on her for the next or so. Unfortunately, guinea pigs don't have a vomit reflex, so what has gone in will have to come out at the other end.

If is any consolation, I have had piggies of mine chomp on a length of ribbon that had fallen on the floor without ill effect. They have a knack of always making a beeline for what you want them to find least!

Yes it was a fabric label, thankyou for your reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back