• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swarfega Still Recommended For Grease Gland Cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
is this still recommended or is something else better? remember using it with ches years ago.

benjie needs his cleaning. i can see a little build up of grease on it, and there was a rather unpleasant smell from the cage last night after he was scenting! :vom:

another question - do i just rinse it with warm water afterwards? :)

I usually clean the grease glands with swarfega on little cotton pads.

Luckily my neutered boy Little-pig does not get greasy at all!

I usually clean the grease glands with swarfega on little cotton pads.

Luckily my neutered boy Little-pig does not get greasy at all!

i only ever remember having to clean ches once, and eddie never needed to be. but benjie is by far our smelliest and messiest piggy :))

i only ever remember having to clean ches once, and eddie never needed to be. but benjie is by far our smelliest and messiest piggy :))
I usually follow it up with a quick bum bath. Both of my boys can get a little smelly around that area every now and then. A swarfega and a soft toothbrush for the grease gland then a quick dip in the sink (or litter tray filled with warm water) and a good wash with piggy shampoo. They hate it but always look (and smell) a lot better after :)

I've tried swarfega and washing up liquid with minimal success but then I tried cooking oil and it was like a miracle! I gently massaged it into the area and in seconds and with a gentle fine tooth comb it all fell off as I gently combed and Mr.Biggles loved having it done. No pain, no pulling just gentle grooming, fun and comfortable for us both. You don't need to wash it out either it just soaks in and disappears after a few hours and also must help his skin.
Hope this helps someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back