• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Swiss Guinea Pig

Sorbus

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I have an almost 1yr old neutered male Swiss pig. He is a big boy at 1400g and seems happy and healthy living with his 2 girls. I will attach photos but basically he has white stuff on his back in one area only. I would say it's dandruff but it's a bit sticky for that. The actual skin looks healthy and he isn't scratching. He has been treated with ivermectin about 3 weeks ago as a precaution. The girls he lives witj don't show any signs of anything similar. What could it be? I have ordered a lice shampoo and will treat again with ivermectin when it's due. What could it be?

Attachments

• 20210915_164825.jpg
    20210915_164825.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210915_164704.jpg
    20210915_164704.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210915_164655.jpg
    20210915_164655.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210915_164644.jpg
    20210915_164644.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 21
Sorry I can’t help but want to say what a cute piggy he is.
Amother vet trip may be helpful.
Hope it’s nothing to worry about

Hi and welcome

You have a gorgeous Swiss teddy there!

Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell what he has on his fur for sure without a hands-on examination but it looks like some rather large skin flakes.

Please be aware that one-off pet shop strength ivermectin doesn't work, nor will lice shampoo on spec (especially with no lice to be seen) - it's just a waste of money. Please have your boy vet checked for potential skin parasites or a fungal skin infection and the appropriate vet strength products. Any vet strength parasite treatment needs to be at least three rounds at the product specific interval to be effective.

Only once both mites (neither mange nor hay mites are visible) and a fungal skin infection have been excluded, can you diagnose 'teddy skin', which is a skin condition particular to teddy breeds (both American and Swiss teddies) due to their thick coat. It can affect some individuals quite badly while others will never suffer from it.
However, this is not a process you should do at home with low dosed one-off products as you can condemn your piggy to months of unnecessary suffering from undertreated skin parasites. In the end, it is much cheaper to pay for the vet and do it properly instead of spending money on inappropriate products and then needing to see a vet with an advanced case.
I have always made sure that I have seen a vet and done the full exploration with them with my own teddies suffering from this incurable breed sprecific complaint.

Here is more information on skin parasites and their proper treatment: New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Thanks so much for your reply. I will take to the vets, now to find a good cavy savvy vet in the Manchester area!

Ahhh fab! Thanks so much, really helpful 😊

Just wanted to let you know that Barnaby went to the vet and the vet said it was dandruff. His skin looks fine etc.

He is doing well and with regular brushing looks fine again.

Back