• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

swollen lymp node? Help please

Ckaladjian

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m needing some advice. wondering do guniea pigs have lymph nodes on this location I circled & if that’s what this could be? I had taken him to a new vet since our regular one is out of town until the 28th & she just wanted to cut it open even tho she wasn’t sure if it’s a abscess /cyst ect..I didn’t want this to be done unless I’m sure of what it is. He is only 1 months old. This feels like a marble non movable although it does move when he’s drinking water, but I can’t move it , it feels very hard his skin moves over it but it is fixed in place. A little backstory about 2 weeks ago he had a terrible skin issues which vet had advised me to up his vitamin c before trying any meds , even tho he is already getting a high vitamin c diet due to being a baby, and his skin completely healed. He had a small scrape right next to this bump as well a little further away , which looked like maybe a pimple had popped white thing on top which disappeared right away it was tiny. I’m just asking if anyone can help me get a better idea on what this could be? I am going to take him to my normal vet once she is back they are aware but I do not trust this new vet that much..and didn’t feel comfortable with cutting it open with out knowing what exactly it is.

Attachments

• A7F52817-07C4-437D-B16D-E3F01AD3A5E9.webp
    A7F52817-07C4-437D-B16D-E3F01AD3A5E9.webp
    50.5 KB · Views: 6
  • CB6F11A3-2227-4DEE-8DEA-CD440D40BDBA.webp
    CB6F11A3-2227-4DEE-8DEA-CD440D40BDBA.webp
    32.7 KB · Views: 5
All you can do is speak to the vet because a lump always needs a hands on check.

In terms of vitamin c, they do not need to be on higher amounts because they are babies and no piggy on a good diet needs to be supplemented anyway. They get all their vit c needs from a good diet. Over-supplementing with vitamin c for the long term can be detrimental to their health and can actually cause scurvy because their bodies get used to abnormally high amounts above and beyond their actual needs.

All you can do is speak to the vet because a lump always needs a hands on check.

In terms of vitamin c, they do not need to be on higher amounts because they are babies and no piggy on a good diet needs to be supplemented anyway. They get all their vit c needs from a good diet. Over-supplementing with vitamin c for the long term can be detrimental to their health and can actually cause scurvy because their bodies get used to abnormally high amounts above and beyond their actual needs.
Thank you he gets bell pepper a day other variety of veggies as well. I mix alfafa with Timothy & young guniea pig pellets. I will be going to my regular vet I just wanted to get a idea on here

Thank you he gets bell pepper a day other variety of veggies as well. I mix alfafa with Timothy & young guniea pig pellets. I will be going to my regular vet I just wanted to get a idea on here

The issue with lumps is that they can be a multitude of things so we couldn’t tell you what you might be dealing with other than speculating which wouldn’t help you unfortunately.

With a variety of veg in the diet he will be getting enough vit c and does not need to be supplemented.

He does not need alfalfa - just feed Timothy hay. It is not a grass hay and doesn’t need to be in the diet. You definitely do not need to give alfalfa if you are feeding young piggy pellets (which already contain alfalfa) as it will almost certainly be overdoing it. Young piggy pellets are also not needed as they can eat normal adult pellets from birth. Alfalfa is high in calcium and too much can lead to bladder problems.

The issue with lumps is that they can be a multitude of things so we couldn’t tell you what you might be dealing with other than speculating which wouldn’t help you unfortunately.

With a variety of veg in the diet he will be getting enough vit c and does not need to be supplemented.

He does not need alfalfa - just feed Timothy hay. It is not a grass hay and doesn’t need to be in the diet. You definitely do not need to give alfalfa if you are feeding young piggy pellets (which already contain alfalfa) as it will almost certainly be overdoing it. Young piggy pellets are also not needed as they can eat normal adult pellets from birth. Alfalfa is high in calcium and too much can lead to bladder problems.
But I have had breeders say they can eat it up until 6 months old along with vets is this not true?

But I have had breeders say they can eat it up until 6 months old along with vets is this not true?

They can have it in very very small amounts - literally a few strands a day. They certainly don’t need it if you are feeding young piggy pellets. Alfalfa is not a grass hay it is a legume which does not need to be in their diet at all, most of us will never feed it.
I won’t even feed young piggy pellets - lots of Timothy or other grass hay is all that is needed

They can have it in very very small amounts - literally a few strands a day. They certainly don’t need it if you are feeding young piggy pellets. Alfalfa is not a grass hay it is a legume which does not need to be in their diet at all, most of us will never feed it.
I won’t even feed young piggy pellets - lots of Timothy or other grass hay is all that is needed
Thank you yes I usually mix with Timothy or orchard

Good luck when you see your vet. Let us know what they say.

Back