Syringe Feeding Can Really Make A Huge Difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Have just spent two hours syringe feeding Percy, little and often, after finding him looking rather poorly. He's now looking bright and perky again. Just goes to show the importance of syringe feeding a poorly piggy. It really can save their life. Percy will see Simon tomorrow, but for now I am feeling fairly confident he's on the mend, and that once he gets his teeth filed again, he will be gaining weight nicely. Lethal boy, Ted, has gained almost 100g since being so unwell at the end of last week. It's been rather an intense few days, and I really hope I can have a bit of rest this coming week.

When I started he didn't want it, and it looked like he was struggling to swallow it too. I persevered and just gave it 0.5 ml at a time and then waited five minutes before giving some more. He tried to get away from me but I just kept going, and he is now taking it 1 ml at a time, and is grabbing the syringe eagerly. I have got about 30 mls into him now, with the first 10 mls taking an hour and a half and the next 20 mls taking half an hour! He looks like a different piggy now. He is bright, alert and really showing an interest in everything. 2 hours ago he looked like he had given up on life.

They can go downhill so quickly, but they can also pick up very quickly if you can get a substantial amount of food into them. It can take hours to start with but so worthwhile. Syringe feeding is such a useful skill to have and definitely saves lives.

great to hear. do you find any difference in certain pigs regarding how much they will take at once? eddie has such a small mouth and prefers 0.3ml as one mouthful.

great to hear. do you find any difference in certain pigs regarding how much they will take at once? eddie has such a small mouth and prefers 0.3ml as one mouthful.
@biscandmatt I am guided completely by the piggy. Generally they can manage 1 ml at a time, and in the time it takes to refill the syringe, they swallow it and are ready to take the next ml. However, a very poorly piggy, or one with a very sore mouth, can only take a smaller amount at a time, For example, with Percy, he could only manage 0.5 ml for quite a while, but then as his tummy was filling and he was feeling a little better, he could then manage the full 1 ml.

@biscandmatt I am guided completely by the piggy. Generally they can manage 1 ml at a time, and in the time it takes to refill the syringe, they swallow it and are ready to take the next ml. However, a very poorly piggy, or one with a very sore mouth, can only take a smaller amount at a time, For example, with Percy, he could only manage 0.5 ml for quite a while, but then as his tummy was filling and he was feeling a little better, he could then manage the full 1 ml.

i think when eddie was co-operating fully and really wanting the feed, he could manage 0.5ml. but overall 0.3ml seems to be what he is comfortable with. he seems to panic otherwise. but from where he started three weeks ago, he's much more confident with the syringe now. x

i think when eddie was co-operating fully and really wanting the feed, he could manage 0.5ml. but overall 0.3ml seems to be what he is comfortable with. he seems to panic otherwise. but from where he started three weeks ago, he's much more confident with the syringe now. x
Sounds like you're doing a great job. There is no right and wrong way to do it. You find what works for your piggy and what works best for you too. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back