• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Taffy - virulent cataracts and an eye poke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor Taffy needs your vibes!

Over the last few days I've noticed that both her eyes were starting to cloud over, and this morning she had the beginnings of an infection, probably from a hay poke, in one eye. As I could get to the vets only in the afternoon, I washed the eye out with saline solution.

Taffy is now both on eye drops, baytril and metacam to get on top of the infection as quickly as possible, but with her losing her sight so quickly, she is in for a tough time until has learned to compensate and has coped with the reaction of the other pigs.

I have been told be my vet that her cataracts are not caused by diabetes, as according to the vet, those cataracts connected with that condition are mostly caused by the insulin that is needed for the treatment.

Poor Taffy, sending good vibes for a speedy recovery from us and our brood.

Sending healing vibes to Taffy, but I'm sure in your capable hands she'll be fine in no time :)

I am sorry to hear that Taffy has an infection on top of her cataracts :( Me, Eleanor, Eliza and Erin are sending her lots of love and healing vibes. A BIG (((hug))) for you as well Wiebke x

Forgive me if I speak out of turn, I'm a Dispensing Optician, so I have a little eye knowledge. If her eyes are cloudy, that could be oedema, which is caused by inflammation inside her eye. The collagen filaments are misplaced due to the swelling, which causes the opaqueness. If you're really lucky, the cloudiness could be maybe not cateracts, but possibly oedema instead. As her eye heals, it MAY (and I could be completely wrong, but trying to be positive) clear, and in so doing restore her sight. So fingers crossed. I apologize if I'm entirely wrong, but I have seen this before.

Forgive me if I speak out of turn, I'm a Dispensing Optician, so I have a little eye knowledge. If her eyes are cloudy, that could be oedema, which is caused by inflammation inside her eye. The collagen filaments are misplaced due to the swelling, which causes the opaqueness. If you're really lucky, the cloudiness could be maybe not cateracts, but possibly oedema instead. As her eye heals, it MAY (and I could be completely wrong, but trying to be positive) clear, and in so doing restore her sight. So fingers crossed. I apologize if I'm entirely wrong, but I have seen this before.

Thanks for that - I would be ever so so happy if she wouldn't lose her eyesight completey, of course! It doesn't look like a "normal" cataract to me, compared to the ones I have seen previously. She is on a full dose of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

Ahhhhhhhhh hope Taffy gets better soon,he's in the best of hands with you so he should make a speedy recovery.
By the way love your pics you posted earlier this weekx) ,was that you in the picture?We imagine what people look like we talk too and they never look like we imagine.Perhaps we should post pics of ourselves so we can see the face we talk too?.Sending Taffy a get well wish and a kissxxxxx,suex

I am relieved that Taffy is reacting to the meds well (even the batyril) and that her poke injury is already looking better. Her appetite has definitely NOT suffered!

She's booked in for a check up at the vets tomorrow evening.

Sorry to hear poor Taffy has had eye trouble Wiebke.

How is she doing now?

Sorry to hear poor Taffy has had eye trouble Wiebke.

How is she doing now?

We have been for a check up yesterday, and Taffy has been given the all clear for the infection; the ulcer has been healed off very nicely and quickly over the last couple of days. Taffy was a very good girl (she still have a tendency to stiffen up when treated, which was ideal. The vet was even joking whether I'd brought the right piggy! :)

However, she's definitely got cataracts and they are unmistakeable now, especially under the vets lamp. With her bulging eyes (too big for her extremely small head), she'll always be in danger of the odd scratch or poke. I will have to keep an extra vigilant eye on her from now on.

Wiebke, I am so sorry Taffy is having problems with her eyes.

love and wheeks from me, Marty, Caramel and Barbra.

hope she feels better soon and learns to compensate quickly
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back