• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

taken on a guinea pig need some helth advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have just taken on my friends guinea pig as her parriot can not be around hay .

the thing is he has black wet patches on both sides of his mouth and the bit just under his nose has scabie dry skin on it .

i have never seen this before any idea what this could be ?

can you post some pictures as it could be a number of things? x

ie teeth, fungal, eating acidity foods, the bit on the nose could be fungal nose stripe x

gp009.jpg

thats fungal you need to get some daktarin oral cream from the chemist and apply it 3 times a day around the mouth and a dab on the nose (sores) for around 3 wks, maybe also worth giving 0.5mls of it orally too 2-3 times a day for 3 wks x

Last edited:
its not prescription meds and can be brought from any chemist its used for thrush in the mouth just make sure you say oral thrush its in an orange tube you can also get it in a (white tube but this one is only prescription) x

the lady i got him from one of her parrots have just died from a fungle infection in the lungs thats why i have got him i wonder if it got anything to do with each other

That to me looks like Ceilitis, which is either a bacterial infection or can sometimes be a yeast infection. Antibiotics is needed if it is bacterial. On mobile so I can't link.

If you go to Guinea Lynx and then click Medical Index its under 'C'.

If this is any help

he had fruit and veg allday lots of apple he was on guinea pig muesli and no nuggits at all .

on the wodden house he was in has mold on it .

going to give him a bath later and scrub his cage

Bless him, he is a gorgeous colour!

I'm not great at infections whether it be fungal or bacterial but I'm sure I read that too much apple can irritate a piggys mouth so this might not be helping a bad situation? x

Just gave his cage a good scrub and its now drying in the garden in the sun think it might be best if i keep him away from the other pig put him in a diffrent room.

i think he was given far to much apple and it has got really sore

I'm going thursday afternoon just want to make him comfie untill then he seem fine but he has got to be uncomfie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back