• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

taking guinea pigs out for excersize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggypoos

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have three boys and i was wondering if anyone could give me tips on taking them out in the run. i have just moved them into a shed and their old run doesnt fit in there so we have had to make a sort of makeshift run our of a cardboard box attatched to a small playpen. however taking them out is a nightmare.... one of the pigs especially haves just being touched so it is really hard to pick them up. i try stroking pepper (the only one who really enjoys being stroked lol) until he is completely relaxed but he is so fast the second i try and pick him up hes gone. annoyingly the ramp doesnt really stay up as they have chewed most of the turner that holds the ramp up :{ so of course they can just run up and down the ramp and never get caught. so i have had to try other techniques like coaxing them with veggies - never works - they either lose interest or we try and put them in the carrier and we can just take them in that (no luck) or we out something in the beds, igloos etc bit they just take the veg and run away with it as they know that we will take them out. we have also tried with their cozy tunnel but of couse they just run out of the other end. we try and pick them up so many times but it never works. so yeah.... it takes us at least half an our to get them in the run and it is such a pain - they lose out on the time they actually get in the run anyway so its really pointless. i know it maked me sound like the worst piggy owner ever but as it takes so long i can only really put them out every other day. i would love to let them out every day but its so hard to do so. i know it sounds really pathetic that i cant even get my own pigs out so sorry but any ideas are appreciated. x

I can really sympathise with you, mine were like that for the first year and it put me off trying to get them out, also when they're young they move a lot faster. It takes a long time for them to get used to being picked up. I'm always surprised now at how quickly I'm able to pick them up compared with last year, the fatter, more docile of the two was easier to pick up but the other was so fast and I'd end up with one in the run and the other still in the hutch! I know they don't like being picked up from above because they are prey animals and to them it's like a big bird coming from above and carrying them off in it's talons. So I always try to be on their level, it is hard and you mustn't blame yourself at all, you are doing the best anyone could do for those boys. It really does seem to take time before you become better at catching them and they get a little bit slower at getting away, I felt the same way as you for a year! Hope this is of help :)p

thanks, this is really kind of you. yeah i always try and use the doors rather than the roof (even though the roof would be easier) unless it is really necessary. and your right i often end up having to leave one pig alone either in the hutch or run but never for long as they hate being alone so i feel sorry of them and put them all back in the hutch lol :{

Piggypoos

I sympathise, mine were little swines when it came to being picked up and still can be at times rolleyes They are nine months now.

I have a two storey hutch and quickly discovered I was playing the chasing them up and down the ramp game rmallethead

If I wanted to get them out the first thing I used to do was take the ramp out completely so it wasn't in the hutch at all and therefore they were confined to one level of the hutch, can you do this? I took all the tunnels etc out so there was nothing in there and then shooed them into an upturned cardboard box. I then bought fleece beds and they were only too happy to run into those to hide. I'd then just pick up the box or bed with them inside it.

I spent a bit of time just opening the hutch, putting my hand in and then closing it again so they didn't think that every time I went near them they were going to get chased around. Try opening the door offering veggies by hand and then closing the door again without trying to pick them up. They then get used to you going in there and giving them something nice to eat.

I can now go into my pigs hutch and pick them up but they still aren't keen. I kneel on the floor so my head is the same height as the top floor and I'm not hovering over them, which no guinea pig likes. Talk gently, go really slowly but then pick them up decisively and confidently so you get them first time. I used to think I was doing something wrong and they hated me but they just need to get used to it :)

I always pick out one guinea pig first, shut the hutch and then either put him outside on the grass or take in inside and then go back for the 2nd pig, same rule applies for putting them back to bed. If you hold one at a time you have more control over them especially if they try to jump which they very often do when you go to put them back in the hutch. Don't feel bad about only picking one up at a time they aren't seperated for long and I personally think its safer. :)

HTH

Claire

x

Last edited:
thanks claire,
this was really helpful
they are perfectly fine with my putting my hand in and being petted and taking veg out of my hands (exept one who hates being toutched... :()
its just if i try pick them up.....
but thanks again - i thought i was the only one with these problems x

Piggypoos

It takes a long time to get them used to being picked up and even then they aren't keen. My boys run and hide in a corner and look at me as if to say "oh go on then, if you must" :))

If they are outside on the grass I have been known to have to climb into the run to get them out :red

Piggypoos

It takes a long time to get them used to being picked up and even then they aren't keen. My boys run and hide in a corner and look at me as if to say "oh go on then, if you must" :))

If they are outside on the grass I have been known to have to climb into the run to get them out :red

That made me laugh, so true 'oh go on then,if you must'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back