• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Taking My Guinea Pig To The Vet Over Wheezing

SunshinePiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope everyone is well it's been some time since I've been here! Anyway, I'm taking my guinea pig Sunshine to the vet tomorrow and I'm rather nervous. She started wheezing a bit since Monday but has been going along her normal routine it's not often but maybe around twice a day for a few minutes. Her wheeks sounded different yesterday but sounded better today. I recently bought her a tunnel and she's still playing running circles, Thursday morning was the earliest I could get an appointment for her as we don't have many exotic vets in the area, I'm not sure if anyone's been through this and can offer any advice?

It's great you are taking her to the vet.
I am sure they will diagnose the problem and sort out the correct treatment for her.
It sounds like you have caught whatever it is early.

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is well it's been some time since I've been here! Anyway, I'm taking my guinea pig Sunshine to the vet tomorrow and I'm rather nervous. She started wheezing a bit since Monday but has been going along her normal routine it's not often but maybe around twice a day for a few minutes. Her wheeks sounded different yesterday but sounded better today. I recently bought her a tunnel and she's still playing running circles, Thursday morning was the earliest I could get an appointment for her as we don't have many exotic vets in the area, I'm not sure if anyone's been through this and can offer any advice?

Hi!

Just keep an eye on her for the time being. Guinea pig airways are very small and narrow, and they are not breathing much through their mouths, so you can hear any little obstruction anywhere. It is good that you have booked Sunshine in promptly. If there is the least doubt about a potential URI, your vet will put her on antibiotics.

Please bookmark this link here, which is the access link to our emergency, crisis and bridging care guides collection where we have assembled all the necessary information to help you support your piggy if things get really bad before you can see a vet; especially for emergencies at night time or on a weekend: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

However, as symptoms are very much on the mild side and you haven't mentioned any loss of appetite or heavy breathing, I would not worry much.

After going to the vet it turns out that it wasn’t related to what I thought but teeth related. I’ve already scheduled a Monday follow up appointment to get her checked out so she can feel better soon.

After going to the vet it turns out that it wasn’t related to what I thought but teeth related. I’ve already scheduled a Monday follow up appointment to get her checked out so she can feel better soon.

Please switch from the normal once weekly weigh-in to weighing daily at the same time and read our syringe feeding and first aid kit guides (both included in the emergency care link in my previous post). Hay is making over 80% of the daily food intake but you cannot control it by eye. It is however often the first food group that is impacted.
Make sure that you can step in with syringe feeding support asap if the weight loss passes 50g/2 oz or a dental under GA is not going quite smoothly since guinea pig dentals are not an area most vets, even exotics, are familiar with.

Thank you! For the information, I'll make sure to provide an update by Monday to make sure everything is well (unless anything changes over the weekend) everything is well at the moment and I've been watching her for many hours of the day.

Sadly Sunshine passed away today, her condition deteriorated on Tuesday after visiting the vet on Monday. By Tuesday afternoon she was very lethargic and no longer even wanting water, she had been eating critical care fine in the morning and I had followed all the instructions the vet left me with regarding her meds. Thank you for the guides they were all very useful. I know she's in a better place now

Back