• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tallulah has an abscess :(

Thanks everyone, things were going so well! She has hay and pellets right by her sleeping bag entrance, I'll try a bit of fresh syringe feed and pro C before bedtime. The next door piggies are very concerned, they are all fussing about nervously near Tallulah's cage, especially Puggle who understands upset tummies, she's wheeking frantic piggy tummy advice through the bars and running up and down, there must be a "bad piggy tummy smell" they can detect!
I think I'd rather give recovery food and pro C seperately right now @SkyPipDotBernie , I think there is vit C and probiotic in recovery food, but I was going to syringe a bit of water anyway so it might as well have pro C in it, and then I can tell the vet tomorrow exactly how much water she's had and how much syringe feed... also pro C seems to taste good and recovery food doesnt so it might keep her hydrated. Unless I syringe fed too much water already worrying she'd be dehydrated? So many what-ifs with sick piggies, but at least this is a new-since-6pm today thing and the vet check is at 12.20 tomorrow!

Doing a bit better... only a small pack of slightly squishy poops in her sleeping bag between 8.30 and now (looked a bit like a small poopy rice cake, rather smelly but sort of poop shaped bits stuck together and no need to wash the sleeping bag this time!) and she's just had 4mls of recovery food and 2mls of pro C and leapt about a bit more like usual. Lights off piggy bedtime now but there's hay and pellets within easy reach. We'll check on her tomorrow about 6am unless our vigilant Puggle-alarm goes off before then, the other piggies are really watching out for little bat-hippo!
Here she is having a bedtime syringe feed:
20190312_221343.jpg

How did Tallulah get on at the vets today? Is she firming up her poops yet?
Healing vibes xx

Tallulah is doing better today thanks, no more poop explosions and she's running about wheeking and demanding dinner tonight. She had a rather slow start to the day with breakfast and didnt finish it, then had 3mls syringe feed and 1ml of pro C, then was back at the vet for her post-op check.
I was at work today so I sent piggy daddy with a big list of questions that the poor junior vet nurse couldnt answer, so the vet nurse just cuddled Tallulah a lot and went to fetch head vet Clare who did the surgery. So... after the inevitable bum thermometer experience she has no high temperature indicating any systemic infection (I was worried she felt very hot and clammy last night), no localised wound infection at all, probably any upset stomach is just a reaction to the huge amount of drugs she's had and maybe we should halve her loxicom dose if she doesnt seem in pain as the wound is fine and shouldn't be painful now and she's had a lot of drugs to metabolise. We have another check up friday afternoon just to be sure. My husband worries he shouldnt ask so many questions but head vet Clare was happy to answer them, all the post-surgery check-ups we've had with her for our piggies have been free of charge until she's sure you have a healthy pet back, it's brilliant really when you pay for an operation it always includes 1 or 2 free follow up appointments as needed during the next week :)

Glad to hear Tallulah is feeling better. Hopefully she will be back to her usual self in the next few days.
Your vet sounds fantastic, we have to pay for post-op checks.

I’m glad she’s feeling better. I too always go with a list of questions and my vet is always happy to answer them (she knows I’m a worrier). Post op checks are also free. When Eliza had all the problems with her eye socket infection after he eye removal, I was taking her to the vet daily at one point for it to be flushed and cleaned (before I felt comfortable doing it myself) and I didn’t pay a penny apart from for meds

So day 3 post-op... her wound looks a bit swollen this morning which is a bit of a worry, but she ate 3mls of recovery food and 2mls of water with pro-C at 7am then a big bowl of pellets and a slice of cucumber at 10am and she's racing around. Seems she's peeing in bed a fair bit (probably all the pro-C she's drinking) but I keep changing her bat-hippo-cave tea towel. Vets again tomorrow at 5pm so we'll update then!

Glad Tallulah is doing well.
It probably just takes a few days for everything to settle properly.
Hope the vet check goes well.
My vets don’t charge for any post op checks either

Under her wound is very swollen tonight, but soft like its fluid build up which the vet suggested might happen when we saw her yesterday, almost as swollen as the original abscess, but she's very well in herself and ate a mountain of hay and 3 spinach leaves and a lettuce leaf at playpen/cage clean time, her poops are normal again, and she chatted to Puggle and flirted with Theo a lot through the playpen bars, she was zooming about exploring and enjoying playing in a cardboard box, so I just gave her some loxicom (plus another syringe feed and some pro C that she probably didnt need) and we'll see how it looks tomorrow. Our vet appointment is at 5pm but if the wound looks any more dodgy I'll phone at 8.30am and try get an emergency slot!

Back