• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

taming my piggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ruth-jane

i have 3 guinea pigs, All are friendly yet very timid, Is there anyway i can make them more willing to be around me, and actually want to spend time with me. thanks.

Well you should try getting them out induvidually at first, maybe coaxing them out with a carrot, and gradually increase the length of time you cuddle them. At first it should only be less than 10 minutes at a time, to avoid them getting stressed.
Hope this helps

yeah, when i do get them out, i dont usually get the two boys together (the brothers) i get them one at a time, but to get them out the cage i have to chase them round :-\ i know its not helping their scattish behavour, but theres no other way to get them out and i figured its better than not handling at all, but i dont realyl know what else to do :( they both run to the corners, so does the lone male i have, and i dnt know really how i would convince them that being picked up isnt something they should try to avoid

ruth-jane said:
yeah, when i do get them out, i dont usually get the two boys together (the brothers) i get them one at a time, but to get them out the cage i have to chase them round :-\ i know its not helping their scattish behavour, but theres no other way to get them out and i figured its better than not handling at all, but i dont realyl know what else to do :( they both run to the corners, so does the lone male i have, and i dnt know really how i would convince them that being picked up isnt something they should try to avoid

You're not doing anything wrong love, some piggies are just like that all their little lives :smitten:
Our boy is a young 5 1/2 and he still runs away when i go to pick him up for cuddles or a feed ::) ;D ;D ;D
Lots of patience, nice yummy treats in the hand ready and that will help a little O0 Good luck :)

I have only had my piggies since April,the older one I have to chase around the cage to catch,but once picked up loves to be cuddled,the younger one I only have to pass the cage and she starts squeeling and jumping up on her chube to get my attention,as soon as I open the cage she is waiting to be picked up

curly said:
I have only had my piggies since April,the older one I have to chase around the cage to catch,but once picked up loves to be cuddled,the younger one I only have to pass the cage and she starts squeeling and jumping up on her chube to get my attention,as soon as I open the cage she is waiting to be picked up

Lucky you! My piggies are both skittish! Although ones slightly better than the other.

Talk to them every day !
My guinea - Patchy which i got today i was talking to him and then he came out, he's still abit timid but it seems to work > Talking to them

You are right Patchy, they love to be talked to. I hold mine against my chest and put my nose close to their nose, they really seem to like this and I often get a lick on the nose as a reward...its so cute :)

lavenderjade said:
You are right Patchy, they love to be talked to. I hold mine against my chest and put my nose close to their nose, they really seem to like this and I often get a lick on the nose as a reward...its so cute :)

I know! But once I got nibble on the nose and had a little scar there and it looked really funny ;D

Some piggies just take a LOT of patience - I've had my piggies since boxing day last year and they're still like this! However, they are starting to come round a little, I constantly sit with them, talk to them, offer them food etc but it has taken a lot of effort. Now they will occasionally come up to me if I have food in my hand. I still have to chase them around to get them out but it's really rewarding that they now come to me if I have food :) Lotttttttts of patience and good luck O0 It feels great when they do come to you and don't run away :)

Racheylcg said:
lavenderjade said:

I know! But once I got nibble on the nose and had a little scar there and it looked really funny ;D

Haaa :]

By the way call me Abbie if you want, patchy is my piggie !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back