• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tannish fur on butt

Marlee and Fluffy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I noticed Marlee’s butt had tannish fur, (It’s supposed to be white) do you think her poop stained her fur?

Marlee and Fluffy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry for the late response, it was really hard to take the picture, the black stuff is my hair, sorry if it’s covering her butt.
712926D7-35EE-4946-BEB2-A74CF5FDF0BE.jpeg

Not sure if you can see it though. Also, I forgot to mention I accidentally touched it and I got a liquid on my finger, maybe her urine.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s difficult to keep white pig butts white all the time with their toilet if habits ignoring the fact of the grease gland also. It doesn’t look like anything to be concerned about - I would however look out for any urine scould on the feet to ensure your pig hasn’t got a problem and is sitting in their own urine - for me, that would be a tell tale sign and their butts should be wet all the time either. Sometimes their companion pig may spray them accidentally or on purpose as a warning but this hasn’t happened too often in my experience.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I think she’s has possibly had a wee in her sleep? Give her a sniff, does she smell of normal wee, if it smells very strong you could take her to the vets and get her checked out x

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I find my white piggy gets a stain on him when he wees in his bed and lies on his damp poop. He also gets a mark along his side where he brushes along the water bottle and then sits in his bed on a pile of poop. I remove poop from the cage at least 2 x daily and more often when I'm home from his lying places, but I can't win!
As has already been said it could also be her grease gland, which tends to show up more obviously on white short haired piggies.

Marlee and Fluffy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It’s difficult to keep white pig butts white all the time with their toilet if habits ignoring the fact of the grease gland also. It doesn’t look like anything to be concerned about - I would however look out for any urine scould on the feet to ensure your pig hasn’t got a problem and is sitting in their own urine - for me, that would be a tell tale sign and their butts should be wet all the time either. Sometimes their companion pig may spray them accidentally or on purpose as a warning but this hasn’t happened too often in my experience.
Thank you for your response, the tannish stuff on her fur seem to be gone, and I don’t think she has urine on her feet.

Marlee and Fluffy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think she’s has possibly had a wee in her sleep? Give her a sniff, does she smell of normal wee, if it smells very strong you could take her to the vets and get her checked out x
She smells normal, also, thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it