• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teddy after surgery

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! Teddy has been neutered today, he is inside and he is feeling a bit groggy. Is it normal that he hasn’t moved? He has sat there for nearly 4 hours. He also has gooey eyes, the vet said he was doing perfectly but I am curious. How long would he be like this? Thank you!

He has moved, but his eye is still looking gooey!

It is normal for them to be out of it for quite a while after surgery - some bounce back quicker than others, some take a bit longer. Just make sure that he is eating. Put plenty of hay near him so he can get to it without moving far if he doesn’t want to.

I'm not sure why his eye would be gooey though

this guide can help with neutering post op information

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Hi! Teddy has been neutered today, he is inside and he is feeling a bit groggy. Is it normal that he hasn’t moved? He has sat there for nearly 4 hours. He also has gooey eyes, the vet said he was doing perfectly but I am curious. How long would he be like this? Thank you!

Hi!

Here is the link to our detailed post-op care advice for the first hours and night after the operation, recover and any later complications and companionship: Tips For Post-operative Care

A guinea pig may feel rather groggy and be not very bright in the hours after coming home. See whether they eyes are worse by tomorrow; but hopefully it is just a reaction to the operation.

All the best!

It is normal for them to be out of it for quite a while after surgery - some bounce back quicker than others, some take a bit longer. Just make sure that he is eating. Put plenty of hay near him so he can get to it without moving far if he doesn’t want to.

I'm not sure why his eye would be gooey though

this guide can help with neutering post op information

Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
Thank you! I have got hay in a rack so it isn’t underneath him and it’s next to him right now with some water! Thank you :)

Hi!

Here is the link to our detailed post-op care advice for the first hours and night after the operation, recover and any later complications and companionship: Tips For Post-operative Care

A guinea pig may feel rather groggy and be not very bright in the hours after coming home. See whether they eyes are worse by tomorrow; but hopefully it is just a reaction to the operation.

All the best!
The vet didn’t seem worried, so hopefully it is just a resction. I’ll keep an eye on him and I am sleeping beside him tonight. Thank you!

Thank you! I have got hay in a rack so it isn’t underneath him and it’s next to him right now with some water! Thank you :)

PLEASE read up on the post-op care so you know exactly what you need to look out for and when to step in with syringe feeding support etc.

If he is not eating, you will have to support feed at first and also water him. You need control his weight/food intake by weighing daily at the same time so you know how much he is eating on his own (or not) and how much support he needs. Check up on him at least once during the night. If he is still not brighter not eating by the time you go to bed, he will need support. Don't think just because your vet is not worried that will be swimming! Your home care is as crucial as the operation in terms of recovery.

Great advice from @Wiebke there as always, I think it is always good to offer syringe feeds of recovery food or mushy pellets, and a bit of water or pro-c in a syringe, and some tempting easy to eat herbs and grated veggies on a dish right by their face, for the first 24 hours post op, just to be sure piggy is eating and his guts get going again after surgery!

Please make sure that you syringe feed him if he isn’t eating for himself and that he also has adequate pain relief. Please do take the time to read the guides.

I put a ramekin dish of critical care with a little mashed banana beside a post - op piggy as well as the syringe feed just to help them begin eating for themselves.
I found the guides that @Wiebke linked invaluable in knowing what to do and what to look for.
Hope Teddy makes a quick recovery

After Betsy had her spay she was grogg for about 24 hours until the drugs had left her system. I syringe fed her while she was still groggy and put some mushed up pellets and hay in the hospital cage where she was for 48 hours so I could observe her.

Hope Teddy recovers quickly from his visit to the Plum Fairy. Don't forget to wait 6 weeks before he can go in with the ladies.

PLEASE read up on the post-op care so you know exactly what you need to look out for and when to step in with syringe feeding support etc.

If he is not eating, you will have to support feed at first and also water him. You need control his weight/food intake by weighing daily at the same time so you know how much he is eating on his own (or not) and how much support he needs. Check up on him at least once during the night. If he is still not brighter not eating by the time you go to bed, he will need support. Don't think just because your vet is not worried that will be swimming! Your home care is as crucial as the operation in terms of recovery.
Hi! I did read up on the guide, thank you! I did give him some mushed pellets on a plate along with a raspberry and he ate it all! Half the hay in his rack is gone also and he is pooping. He has moved a lot, and I’ve been checking up on him through the night and giving him some water. I did make sure the pellets were wet enough so that he could get water that way aswell. Thank you :)

Has he got pain relief for the next few days for you to give to him? Eg metacam? He needs this for pain relief and to bring down the inflammation.

Has he got pain relief for the next few days for you to give to him? Eg metacam? He needs this for pain relief and to bring down the inflammation.
They didn’t give me anything, I thought they would have. They said they gave him a longer lasting pain relief. I would’ve thought I got metacam.

Please call and ask the vets for some metacam. Whatever they gave him will have metabolised within 24 hours and he will need pain relief/anti inflammatory. My vets give it for 7 days post op.

Please call and ask the vets for some metacam. Whatever they gave him will have metabolised within 24 hours and he will need pain relief/anti inflammatory. My vets give it for 7 days post op.
I do have metacam in my cupboards. Should I give him that one? It isn’t old, he had it recently.

Hi! I did read up on the guide, thank you! I did give him some mushed pellets on a plate along with a raspberry and he ate it all! Half the hay in his rack is gone also and he is pooping. He has moved a lot, and I’ve been checking up on him through the night and giving him some water. I did make sure the pellets were wet enough so that he could get water that way aswell. Thank you :)

That is always such relief! It can vary enormously how quickly piggies pick up after an op.

Today is what I call 'operation blues' day as the operation cocktail (including the analgesics) wear off and leave your boy feeling a bit hung over and very sore as the healing process has not yet kicked in. Has your vey told you when you can step in with pain relief/anti-inflammatories (i.e. analgesics) like metacam? It is important for quicker recovery and his appetite/comfort.

That is always such relief! It can vary enormously how quickly piggies pick up after an op.

Today is what I call 'operation blues' day as the operation cocktail (including the analgesics) wear off and leave your boy feeling a bit hung over and very sore as the healing process has not yet kicked in. Has your vey told you when you can step in with pain relief/anti-inflammatories (i.e. analgesics) like metacam? It is important for quicker recovery and his appetite/comfort.
Yes! I was happy to see his plate clean :) He has moved today, he’s just had a bit of pepper. The vet didn’t specify that but she said go back if something isn’t right. I do have metacam in my cupboards that isn’t old, and has been used recently. Would that be safe to use to pick him up a bit?

Back