• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Teddy is getting a new companion...

emmaldrk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sadly, we lost our dear Freddy just over three weeks ago. Our remaining boar, Teddy, who is about four years old needed a new companion.

I tried every rescue and rehoming centre. I was turned away or hit a brick wall. I was told boar bonding isn’t something they do or they simply didn’t have any candidates. One kindly popped me on a waiting list and suggested a neutered female. However, she told me there was a wait. So, I turned to reputable breeders but even had its ups and down. Anyway...

We decided to get a new little baby boar (Teddy breed!) who is six weeks old and is now ready to leave. He will meet our Teddy (by name only lol) tomorrow! Teddy is becoming very forlorn. He truly needs this now! We simply cannot wait and need to try something.

I’ve researched SO much on bonding, behaviours and even preparing for the worst case screnarios that they fall out. I have everything prepared but I’m feeling nervous!

Any last pieces of essential advice or just a “good luck” would be appreciated! ❤

Try not to intervene too early. There is no rush to move them to their (deep cleaned and rearranged) cage. Also remember the young boy will enter his teens at four months. And get the new boar booked in for a vet check.

And remember to breathe 😁 Good luck and do let us know how it goes.

Out of curiosity why were you turned down by the rescues?

Hi. We weren’t turned down but just away. I tried quite far and wide to seek help. One didn’t do boar bonding as the bondS can break down. Others suggested neutering Teddy just so he could be put with a sow. I was told I was outside of their rehoming area and most didnt have any piggies. It was just disheartening but didn’t mean it to sound like a bad reflection upon the rescues at all.

I can honestly say the rescues were lovely and provided support. I got given the number (via email) to call my local rescue. She popped me on the waiting list and the lady spoke to me about keeping Teddy happy and health while we found him a companion. They even offered to do a (social distanced) check on him if I was ever concerned at all. He’s been doing amazing thankfully.

I started making contact three days after Freddy’s passing as I know it’s very important to have a companion. I’ve also built a new HUGE cage, which has all brand new fleece liners and beds etc. It is clean and fresh for them when it’s time. Xx

Good luck! I’ve experienced how difficult finding a rescue that would boar bond, the nearest for us was 190 miles away! We got our 5 year old Ted neutered by Simon Maddock in Northampton after we lost Bill. This was just before the lock down so I can imagine just how difficult it must have been for you x
Looking forward to seeing lots of photos 😊

Good luck! I’ve experienced how difficult finding a rescue that would boar bond, the nearest for us was 190 miles away! We got our 5 year old Ted neutered by Simon Maddock in Northampton after we lost Bill. This was just before the lock down so I can imagine just how difficult it must have been for you x
Looking forward to seeing lots of photos 😊

Thank you for your understanding. I’m prepared for every possibility of it not working and/or a future breakdown. It’s just one of those things with boars.

Neutering for Teddy didn’t seem very fair. I know some would’ve swung towards this option but one rescue said it shouldn’t be a necessity. It’s just a personal preference I guess. Yet bonding with a sow is much more successful.

He’s very laid back and placid. He can be a bit of a drama queen now but only while being cuddled. We’ve found 15 minutes is his limit now and then he becomes a moaner. He is getting on a bit now! He is so complacent and likes his routine. Lots of 4-5pm wheeking for his veggies! He’s very sweet. X

It’s really not ‘one of those things’ for boars. Sows can also fall out as well, although they’re not quite as...’aggressive’ as boars would be. They’ve been given a reputation that they don’t deserve. As you’ve seen they can get on. I’ve got a bonded pair and so have many others.

Sorry, didn’t mean to go on at you 😁 we’d love to see pigtures of the new piggy. And your Teddy sounds adorable 🥰

It’s really not ‘one of those things’ for boars. Sows can also fall out as well, although they’re not quite as...’aggressive’ as boars would be. They’ve been given a reputation that they don’t deserve. As you’ve seen they can get on. I’ve got a bonded pair and so have many others.

Sorry, didn’t mean to go on at you 😁 we’d love to see pigtures of the new piggy. And your Teddy sounds adorable 🥰

Think it was my wording.... I also think I’m expecting the worst so that I am not so emotionally invested - especially if it were to fail. I’m nervous. Teddy only had his brother from birth so bonding with boars is all unknown territory.

I’m a good piggie Mumma and learn everything I can on anything I need to know!

I have had many sows previously. Some trios and never really thought they could fall out. My very dominant sow could be very grumpy but she was 7 by the time this started happening.

I love boars so much. They are definitely far less moody, love human cuddles and are so quite quirky!

Sadly, we lost our dear Freddy just over three weeks ago. Our remaining boar, Teddy, who is about four years old needed a new companion.

I tried every rescue and rehoming centre. I was turned away or hit a brick wall. I was told boar bonding isn’t something they do or they simply didn’t have any candidates. One kindly popped me on a waiting list and suggested a neutered female. However, she told me there was a wait. So, I turned to reputable breeders but even had its ups and down. Anyway...

We decided to get a new little baby boar (Teddy breed!) who is six weeks old and is now ready to leave. He will meet our Teddy (by name only lol) tomorrow! Teddy is becoming very forlorn. He truly needs this now! We simply cannot wait and need to try something.

I’ve researched SO much on bonding, behaviours and even preparing for the worst case screnarios that they fall out. I have everything prepared but I’m feeling nervous!

Any last pieces of essential advice or just a “good luck” would be appreciated! ❤

Hi!

I am very sorry for your loss!

Boars don't hurt babies if you give them enough space on neutral ground so the baby can escape at all times. But not every boar takes to every baby; character compatibility comes into play even at this age so at the worst you may have to go back to the breeder to try another little boy. However, if Teddy is very depressed and not dealing well with being on his own, then he should be more accepting.

Have a look at our bonding guide and the baby boar bonding video in there. Ecessive humping is not generally such a problem in adult and older boars but if necessary have a little tunnel or cardboard box with two baby sized exits ready that your little one can escape into if it becomes truly nonstop. Keep in mind at all times that babies are so agile and fast that any physical interaction has to have their willingness to hold still and stand.

All the best! If in doubt, leave the boys in the bonding area (if necessary overnight) rather than transferring to the cage too early.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Re. rescues: You have tried your best, so please do not feel bad when it hasn't worked out. You have to be realistic when dealing with a bereavement and you don't have the leisure to wait for too long; we are not so hung up on it that we insist on anything that is not practically achievable. What we would like to see is our forum member making an effort if they have rescue access - which you have done! This year is extra difficult; spayed sows are very rare anyway.

Congratulations on your new baby boar.
Hope the bonding goes well.
Looking forward to pictures.
I have a soft spot for teddies

Aw, looking forward to seeing them bonded, hope it works out for them x
A well bonded pair of boars are best in my opinion, they are so loving and so interesting

Aw, good luck, I hope the bonding goes well.
I have had to resort to buying a buddy a few times now, you do what you have to do when you have a bereavement. I have been turned down by rescues because "you are too far away", "we don't have enough single boars to make a trip to us worthwhile", etc. We are now better served with rescues in this area as several bunny rescues are also taking in piggies but it would still be the luck of the draw at the time of need.

No advice, as only had some experience of bonding sows - just wanted to wish you good luck :-) Hope it works out well for them both :-)

Thank you everyone for the well wishes! I’m feeling much more confident and looking forward to tomorrow!

I will update in a couple of days time!:yahoo:

I can assure you that even those of us who do regular bonding sessions still get a bit anxious about bonding any of our own piggies. It’s natural to be somewhat anxious but hopefully all will go well.

UPDATE! Bonding success... they’re both so chilled! Teddy is double his size but very gentle. I keep catching them snuggling and sleeping together. 🥰

The picture was taken quickly before I popped them outside in the run. I just couldn’t resist.

Attachments

• E99501E9-3800-403B-88C1-319A534909C0.jpeg
    E99501E9-3800-403B-88C1-319A534909C0.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 21
Back