• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Teeth Chattering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsie.C

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to thus..
My piggy's name is Gunner I've had him for bout 2 months now. N he was only a few weeks when I got him..soo I say he's bout 3 months old. He has been GREAT not very shy at all, never shown aggression very comfortable in Gus setting. Well my daughter let him out of his cage Tuesday I had to go to work didn't have time to catch him. So he had free roam of pur apartment for like 8 he's. I got home from work trying to catch him to put him back in his cage. Or at least the hall way(I block it off with a baby gate so he has free range) he kept hiding under the coach I was trying to coax him with kale. Was eating it but not close enough for me to catch him. I was trying to grab him from under the couch. I guess he felt cornered n tired of me chasing after him he chattered his teeth and lunged at me :( ..so I left him alone. N my bf got ahold of him. Okay so Wednesday I left him alone all day. Seeing how he was obviously annoyed with me. Today is Thursday he had His free range in the hall way for bout 8 hrs while I was at work. Came home n sat with him like I always do sweet talking him trying to play. He chattered his teeth at me again didn't even want to climb all over me like he usually does.. :( is he still upset with me or what is going on. Seriously hurts my feelings as I'm sure his to if he's still upset...can someone help me out pleaseeee? :/

Sounds like a response to him feeling threatened and being a bit scared. He was probably enjoying all that freedom and when you went to catch him he thought 'oh bother, she wants me back in my cage and I was having a great time!' Have you tried leaving a pet carrier on the floor with the front opened when you want to catch him? Pop his favourite veggie right at the back of it and when he walks in quietly close up the front, praise him, and pick the carrier up. You could then get him out for cuddles before returning him to his cage. He might feel less cornered and you would have less stress from trying to get hold of him.

Yes carriers are great for piggies who take great offense to being caught! It's less traumatising for them and using something other that your hands to catch them means they don't associate your hands so much with being caught. Hopefully he'll relax more once he knows that floor time becomes a common occurrence and will learn that being put back in his cage is part of his daily routine, not the absolute end of freedom :)
It does make you feel bad when you upset your piggy, (I've been there) but I'm sure he'll come round :) xx

Aww cheeky little piggie. I use a pet carrier to catch my 2. They do chatter if I try to pick them up without it. Lol. They must feel safer when they just walk into it. Good luck. ;)

I always lift my two in a cosy :) it means they (and me!) are less stressed out. I feel like it's a bit safer too.

They will learn to associate your hands with lovely chin rubs and offering veggies then! :)

Hi, I have made my lounge piggie friendly and my girls come and go as they please but I always feed them veg in the cage. So when I do want them in the cage I just bribe them with parsley

Thank y'all so much..I read something that said when they get to there teens they also start to chatter a little more. I left him alone that day as well just let him have free time. He was fine the next day and has been. I was just playing with him. He's having floor time right now. He also is a very stubborn piggy. Not alot like all the research I read. One of the things I read was they like to tinkle in private. If he's crawling all over me n he has to go he will go. I also read that there very skittish when getting out of there cage. NOT HIM if you open his cage to do anything at all . He will try to escape. And I get he was upset with me with the teeth chattering...well I was just playing with him he was running around popcorning while I was petting him n he chattered his teeth at me..he's sending me mixed signals..soo I guess I'm just going to have to figure out what they all mean while he throws them at me.

Ohh and I think I'm going to try the pet carrier. When he has free range I just leave his cafe open so he can jump in an out when he wants.

Ohh yeaaah. I can't do chin rubs :( I'm also allergic to him. Soo I wash my hands aloottt :)

Mine chatterd to. Once I was cleaning there cage and put them in a box and they fought really hard, another time I have a play pin on the floor and they fought twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back