Teeth Chattering

kwomack86

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 4 month old and a 2 year old guinea pig, and I've recently put them both in a brand new cage together. They seem to be enjoying it, as they have a lot more space now. At first, there was a lot of chattering and chasing from my oldest guinea pig, but now everything is going fine, seemingly. They love to lay underneath the upstairs compartment of their loft together.
However, over the last week I've noticed my younger guinea pig stays underneath there nearly all day (unless we take them out for floor time). But, sometimes he will popcorn and run around a lot, (during the day he sleeps all day and is more active at night). I feel as though he's sad, but I'm not sure why. Also, whenever we come up to the cage to pet the guinea pigs, my eldest pig ALWAYS chatters his teeth when we pet my younger one. This has been happening in the last week or so. I don't think it is jealousy, as we treat them the same. I'm wondering why this behavior is taking place.
I should also note that my younger guinea pig recently sprained his leg or foot and is still limping. We took him to the vet and they couldn't confirm whether is was a fracture or not. They charged me an arm and leg and did multiple X-rays just to say they 'weren't sure.' Regardless, he was on pain medications for 1 week, that was 2-3 weeks ago. He has been putting more pressure on his leg and using it more.
In addition to this, my older guinea pig never chattered his teeth at us (at least not this much) before my younger guinea pig got here.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Chattering is a normal dominance behaviour. You must always ensure you respect their hierarchy though and always handle, stroke the dominant piggy first. it can cause the dominant to enforce more dominance If you deal with the submissive first.

kwomack86

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Chattering is a normal dominance behaviour. You must always ensure you respect their hierarchy though and always handle, stroke the dominant piggy first. it can cause the dominant to enforce more dominance If you deal with the submissive first.
Thank you!