• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Teeth chattering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i placed a female and male gp together, both is around 3months, sometimes the female will have some teeth sound, but it is not eating and i cannot see the teeth. The male will hear it and freeze for a moment. They are gentle and never bite.

Is that considered teeth chattering? and are they fighting?

if it's gentle, like they sound like they're eating, no. chattering in aggression is much louder and usually involves rumblestrutting (stomping back legs and making a growlish noise). also, is your boar (male) neutered? it's really not a good idea to have two gps of the opposite sex together if one isn't fixed. breeding happens quickly and is dangerous for the sow.

Teeth chattering is a sign of dominance and very loud chattering is a sign of aggression. As said before it could be them eating also. Males and female pairings get on well usually.

But please do not put them together if the male is not castrated. Mating can happen very quickly even if it is unintentional. So please split them up. What was your reason for putting them together?

x.

To add to your answers above, sometimes they chatter their teeth more gently, for a short time - I've had g pigs appear to be doing this to me when I'm taking too long dishing out the fresh food, so I wonder if the milder teeth chattering can be the guinea pig being annoyed about something? I've also heard them do it for a short period while in the cage (not interacting with me) and I haven't known why they were doing it.

i think the "gentle" teeth chattering means not happy with something/annoyed.
My girl does that whenever she is trying to snatch the bed and the male sometimes copy her.

I also realize that my girl seems dominant and normally gets what she want when she makes the teeth chattering or annoyed sound. 8)

---

Male is not neutered and i thought it will be good to see babies for the first time before neutering him. My girl is now ard 4months old so it should be safe for her to have babies plus i will take good care of her if she is really pregnant.
But will her health be affected if i breed her once only?

Unfortunately this is a pro rescue forum where breeding is discouraged by all here..... If your keeping the only set of babies then fine, as long as you neuter all males afterwards is my opinion.

Male is not neutered and i thought it will be good to see babies for the first time before neutering him. My girl is now ard 4months old so it should be safe for her to have babies plus i will take good care of her if she is really pregnant.
But will her health be affected if i breed her once only?

Breeding once will reduce the risk of ovarian cysts. I havent heard of it causing problems otherwise. Make sure you take the boy out after a month and definatly before birth. Please also be careful with sexing young. If you have never done it before/had no experience with piggies then they are easily missexed and without realising the situation can spiral out of control and you'll have loads of babies? :{

As said before, here is a pro rescue forum, any talk of breeding will get a lot of peoples backs up, so be careful.

x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back