• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Teeth clicking / grinding one day AFTER molar trim.

CelesteMichelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My girl Luna has had it pretty rough lately.
She was diagnosed with UTI and arthritis in her lower back. The UTI has yet to heal (not bladder stones, she’s been x-rayed twice) but there is no more signs of blood or signs of crying as of a few days ago. She was in pain during the last two weeks and was put on many different medications. Started with .06 septra and .19 meloxicam, no improvement. The septra was swapped for .08 baytril, they also added .05 buprenorphine and .04 gabapentin. The buprenorphine sedated her to the point where she lost interest in food (on top of not eating as much due to her UTI pains), so we lowered the dose to .03 instead. Well, then I noticed that when she tries to eat anything hard she would struggle (urinating support by oxbow, vitamin c tablets, even pellets). Then she did the same with her favorite treats.

She had not eaten by herself since 03/27 until the 31st. She still wheeked and got excited but simply couldn’t eat. I called the vet, took her in again, her molars were overgrown. They told me to give her 10ml every 8-12 hours (which is very low in my opinion, she’s lost almost .30 kg in two weeks). I instead have been giving her 15-20 every 2-4 hours and it slowed down her weight loss.

Now to the point, she got her molars and front incisors trimmed yesterday the 31st and has been able to finally take small bites of things but still not eating hay / pellets so I’m hand feeding her still. Today I hear a click sound, not like the one I heard prior to her trim but it sounds like a button being pressed nonstop if that makes sense. I plan on calling the vet as soon as they open but I’m worried if she has a loose tooth now? Or is this sound normal after dental work? It’s not a typical grinding sound, just a clicking sound from her mouth.

PiggyRupert

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggy had some of his molars burred a few weeks ago (and incisor trim). I noticed he made a tooth grinding sound for a few days after the procedure but has stopped now & his teeth are fine (he lost one molar previously which is why he needs a couple of molar teeth burred every 3-4 months).

CelesteMichelle

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggy had some of his molars burred a few weeks ago (and incisor trim). I noticed he made a tooth grinding sound for a few days after the procedure but has stopped now & his teeth are fine (he lost one molar previously which is why he needs a couple of molar teeth burred every 3-4 months).
That’s relieving to hear, thank you. Hope your piggy is well!

PiggyRupert

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It could be that the critical care is a bit dry & sticky. But my piggy did the same thing as shown in your video, while eating hay & veges, before being diagnosed with the missing molar & several back molars longer than the others. He did it less after his molar teeth were burred (but still did the head tilt sometimes, like something was stuck in his mouth & annoying him). At his most recent dental procedure the vet found 2 small abnormal teeth growing underneath his tongue, which were removed. And I haven’t seen him do it since :)