• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Teeth problems

daveclark79

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So, gremlin has being doing well but unfortunately I've just noticed earlier this afternoon he has a broken lower incisor. He doesn't seem to be in pain, although he is on meloxaid at the moment. He seems to be eating well, he had his tea with little issue. However, he does have a kind of 'central stem' in the middle of the tooth still sticking out above the break. It's a bit discoloured but is in the centre of the tooth. Any ideas if this will need attention? IMG_20200720_184126289.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So, gremlin has being doing well but unfortunately I've just noticed earlier this afternoon he has a broken lower incisor. He doesn't seem to be in pain, although he is on meloxaid at the moment. He seems to be eating well, he had his tea with little issue. However, he does have a kind of 'central stem' in the middle of the tooth still sticking out above the break. It's a bit discoloured but is in the centre of the tooth. Any ideas if this will need attention? View attachment 148739
Hi!

It is difficult to tell whether it is a peg tooth or part of the incisor from your picture. Normally broken incisors self adjust again as they grow out if they are not neatly aligned then there can be problems.

daveclark79

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's part of the incisor, it's in the very centre of the tooth, I think it's the 'pulp' part of the tooth.

daveclark79

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I'm going to get in to vets as soon as I can, it looks like it can easily get infected and cause an abscess.

daveclark79

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, trip to the vets was stressful, although not for gremlin related reasons.
Been told to keep a close eye on him for any weight loss and signs of pain. He's already on meloxaid so adjusted the dose slightly. Fingers crossed. He's eating hay, pellets and begging for veg as usual so it's just a waiting game.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, trip to the vets was stressful, although not for gremlin related reasons.
Been told to keep a close eye on him for any weight loss and signs of pain. He's already on meloxaid so adjusted the dose slightly. Fingers crossed. He's eating hay, pellets and begging for veg as usual so it's just a waiting game.
Fingers crossed for Gremlin x

daveclark79

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So, just a little update on gremlin. Had him out for midweek half cage clean etc. just now. Had been keeping an eye on his teeth but not had a really good look for about a week. His bottom incisors are straight and now level and his top left is levelling out, unfortunately the top right, which Simon described as a 'fat' tooth is still a little short and still slightly angled, but I am pleased with what I've managed to see. Still eating and maintaining his weight and still a chilled and happy boy.

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Aw, that’s great news about Gremlin. My Bill had a fat tooth too! he used to go visit Simon for a file down. It never stopped him eating at all, it was the result of a broken incisor. Fat teeth can make the opposing incisor wear quite thin and can have a tendency to break off.
FA34A0D7-694F-4846-A8AA-EB38083A3E9C.jpeg