• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Temperature? I Still Don't Understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopsticus

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Last winter I had 2 guinea pigs; in a 4'x2' cage. I put a blanket over the top and I intermittently switch on a bit of radiator for them, especially at night and they had 2 cave beds (a la ebay.co.uk).
Other than that I do not spend much on heating up my home.
This winter I worked so flat out looking after 4 guinea pigs I completely forgot about the matter. One of them looking perfectly plump, happy and healthy did not help reminding me. This year they had 4 hive beds (again, ebay has all the pics). They are much taller and therefore much more chilly at the top and the 3 ill ones always wanted to squeeze in the same one. So I suddenly suspect they might not have been warm enough. To think that may have been the last nail in 2 piggie coffins turns the stomach.
Also, the first time I saw a vet she said don't bring them outside until at least 15 degree C - my room was often lower than that, but with all windows closed etc.
But she also said don't worry about guinea pigs getting too cold in the winter. If they can make bed out of hay that will be enough.
But a lot of guinea pigs are kept outside altogether, aren't they?

It only occurred to me to rethink the matter because my 2 survivors are happily tugged into my own bed now. And they are always even happier if I switch on the heater a bit so they have stated in no uncertain terms on how they feel about the subject.

P

piggyfan

Please do not blame yourself. I really am sorry for your sad losses but you cannot beat yourself up over this. You sound very caring and loving towards your guinea pigs.

Guinea pigs love being cosy and warm so maybe now you have your pigs indoors you can keep the heating on? I think they will enjoy that as I know mine do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't help, all I can say is that I think it has to be a certain temperature for them, so they don't get too cold?! Though I could be wrong..

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The general rule is if it's too cold for you it's too cold for them. In the wild guinea pigs live in a climate of an average temperature of 15-26'C so this should be taken in to consideration.

There is much debate among owners weather they can or cannot live outside in the British winter. I'm still not for or against if they are insulated very well. Personally though I keep my piggies indoors all year with occasionally them staying out in the hot summer nights. But this is what works for me. Not everyone has space to keep piggies indoors so thus have to stay out.

It's a matter of opinion I suppose. If you worried about them be cold just add them more heat sources such as snuggle safes or extra bedding.

Sounds like your doing all the right things though. And London is much warmer than out of the city.

x

piglet_and_rogers_mama

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly. Ours are indoors all year (due to my murderous cats), and depending on the time of year, they're usually around 65-70F. Sorry to hear about your losses. Don't blame yourself xx.

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine all live in a shed outside. I have a tubular heater to keep the worst of the cold at bay, but they all have snuggle safe pads at night, plenty of hay/straw to burrow under and multiple fleece cosies, as well as a blanket over the top. From my experience, piggies seem to be able to cope with fairly cold temps as long as they have somewhere to snuggle and it isn't draughty or damp. My longer-haired pigs are always toasty, but the short haired ones can get cold ears and feet. Having said that, they do all love to be warm, and dive onto the heat pads when I put them in...

Status
Not open for further replies.