• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Temporary Cage Solutions?

Casperr155

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,
So I recently adopted a male guinea pig with the intention of getting another male once the pet store had more in (they only had females) I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to house the new guinea pig once I get him before trying to integrate them together (been told to wait 2 weeks before trying!) Having to buy another cage for the new one and then buy a larger cage to house both of them seems unreasonably expensive (the cage I have right now is apparently only meant for 2 baby guinea pigs or 1 adult one) so another way would be very helpful!

A lot of people have C & C cages, you can section that off, 1 each side. Seeing your bringing in a second one after a little while it's possible you may have trouble. Best thing to do is when you get the second one & he is quarantined put them in a large run with plenty of hides make sure they have 2 entrances so one of them doesn't get trapped. Also some pellets or veggies a little hay, but in there cages loads of hay. See how it goes.
If you had got them from a rescue they would have given you 2 bonded boars.
No matter I have bought from a pet shop before.
Good luck just come on here if you have any problems, just don't listen to the shop, they talk rubbish & they will sell you a hamsters cage. Lol
Hi & welcome to our friendly forum.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I agree with Tiamolly - C&C would be the way ahead. You could build it as a split cage, then, following a successful bonding on neutral territory, re-build a bigger cage using the same grids. To avoid wasting corex, you could use a plastic table cloth in the temporary cages. That solution would also mean that you wouldn't be putting them into either one's 'territory' after bonding.

Hello! Welcome to the forum. Yes indeed c&c grids are versatile, you can make a small cage area while you are waiting out the two week quarantine period with them 2x3 grids would be ample for one piggy

Hey. Welcome to this forum. C&C cages would be my no.1 choice, but if for whatever reason that isn't possible, you can get a run and join it to the smaller cage. I did this and I use the small cage as a kitchen. ❤️

Back