• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Temporary Housing Solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Purely speculative enquiry at the moment but wondering if people have any advice comments on the following:

This Christmas we're off to my parents, 3hourish drive give or take 30mins depending on traffic. In previous years the inlaws have stayed at ours whilst we've been away, looked after the pigs and spent Christmas with the brother in law who works at the airport and usually can't get all of Christmas off to go anywhere else/do anything else. This year, its looking very likely that he'll get boxing day off which means all of the inlaws would be able to come to my parents for christmas too (something everyone wants to do).

However that leaves us in a bit of a pickle with the pigs. Daddypig is concerned about the drive and how it will affect them, I've told him lots of people on here frequently travel long distance with pigs in cars and that as long as they're not too hot or cold, have watery veggies and hay etc they'll be fine. Any reassurance or tips on that would be appreciated so I can show him the evidence!
Second main problem is that their 140 cage only fits in the inlaws car with all the seats down which might not be possible with luggage/presents etc. This leaves us with our spare 100 hospital cage as the only housing option if they do indeed come to my parents with us. Now this fits in our back seats so would be great for them to travel down in but we're concerned it'll be too small for them to stay in for the 4 days we're going to be away for. They'd be able to have floor time for a bit everyday in the massive kitchen but I'm not sure that'll be enough.

Does anyone have any opinions or ideas they could share with us? It'd be so nice for everyone (including piggies!) to do christmas together! Of course, if we cant work anything out then the inlaws will be happy to stay at ours and watch the pigs as normal though.

Thanks!

The 100cm cage should be just fine IMHO its only 4 days and your pigs are a well bonded pair :-) some pigs spend their entire lives in cages that small and still tend to live to a decent age (theres always loads of 4 year old plus pigs in tiny cages on preloved etc). If your pigs are not a well bonded pair things might get a bit heated but if you could have the 100cm cage and make an attached run that could work too something like a puppy pen if you have one

Thanks! They're generally very well bonded but do have the odd scuffle, I'm sure thats just normal and boys being boys though! I was just thinking I could somehow use sections of their outdoor run to make a mini run around the cage. Would have to ask mum if she'd mind it taking over the kitchen though!
- Would them staying in the kitchen the whole time be a problem? I'm just thinking cooking smells/heat etc?

I have often travelled with my then pair of piggies to spend Christmas or weekends at my MIL. it will take a day or two for your boys to get their bearings, and you may see a bit of dominance for the new territory.

An alternative space saving solution is a mobile C&C grid on a plastic sheet or cupboard liner (to protect any carpet from pees)/towel/fleece underlay, which can simply be folded up or rolled up.
The grids are tied together with cable ties except for the last one, so you can just fold them up like an accordeon and store them easily in the back of the car. Connect the last couple of grids, and hey presto, you have a cage the size you want! Take a couple of extra grids in case you need to separate.
If you have a run on a grid system, that will work well, too, and will take up less space in the car, too; the other advantage is that you can make it any size and adjust it if there are problems.

IMG_8028.JPGIMG_8029.JPGIMG_8032.JPG
IMG_8033.JPG
IMG_8035.JPG

Thats such a good idea! I think somewhere there is some leftover flooring vinyl either at ours/inlaws/my parents which we could use as a good cage base and then cover. That way they wouldn't have to be in the kitchen either. :)

I found it very useful when taking some piggies on medication up with me in the last few years. You can set up the whole thing within 10 minutes anywhere and adapt it to whatever space you've got/how much space you need.

Hi, where can you buy the grid stuff from? I travel quite a lot as I'm a student and spend long periods of time at my parents' house during the holidays so this looks like the best cage idea for me. I'm hoping to get some guinea pigs in January.

Bit late but just wanted to say I've got a pop up puppy play pen as I take my elderly poorly guinea pig with me - its ideal for holiday use and Artie seems very happy in there - I take a Poundland ground sheet to protect the floor and use puppy pads, newspaper and fleece.
I wish they did a lower pen but its miles better than trying to squeeze a cage in a packed car with 3 of us and saves me worrying about too small a cage.

Also way late to the party, but as it is a sticky :) I too have the puppy play pen and i swear by it. I have never used a plastic sheet under as i use puppy pads inside which have waterproof backing, i have never had it leak yet :) Its a great size, and i find because the mesh lid is so dark that they feel plenty safe inside it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back