• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Texel guinea pig fur care

Jessmacg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on here.

I have just adopted a texel guinea pig and was wondering if their fur needed any special care.

I have had four peru's so I'm used to looking after guinea pigs with long hair but do texels require anything different?

I honestly don’t now both of mine are American guinea pigs

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted on here.

I have just adopted a texel guinea pig and was wondering if their fur needed any special care.

I have had four peru's so I'm used to looking after guinea pigs with long hair but do texels require anything different?
If they’re long haired then they likely need the same kind of care as other long haired piggies. Sorry I’m not familiar with texels...or many other breeds to be honest 🤷🏾‍♀️

ive a texel,they can be prone to dry skin.i cut the hair around the bum short,ensure the curls do not trapze on the floor.there is very thick and prone to collecting debrie,eg bedding and hay.so i use vet bed or fleece with these breeds.just groom regularly to remove debrie.if you have long haired breeds texels are not any harder to maintain,
:wub:

Hi there, I found my long haired sow had very sensitive pink skin under her mop. She really did not enjoy a groom. I kept her hair a reasonable length. I agree with above post to cut shorter around rear as woolly coat will become matted and felt together.

I have 3 texels at the moment, what I do is keep the back end under the main bulk of hair, the genitals and back legs trimmed short, then it depends on how you want the hair really. If you dont mind it becoming poofy and frizzy, you can use a metal comb to brush them as needed, I find once a week is enough. If you want to keep the curls, you can groom with your fingers. Just run them through the coat separating the curls from each other and removing tangles. Keeping the whole coat trimmed to floor length so it doesnt drag on the floor also helps prevent tangles. Some are prone to dry skin, as with a lot of curly coated breeds, one of mine has awful skin bless her. Gorgeous guineas does a neem and manuka melt and shampoo which is great for dealing with it.

This is Thistle, Coco and Biscuit. Thistle the lilac tri colour is the one who suffers from skin issues so she gets combed regularly with a fine toothed comb to remove the flakes, you can see the difference between comb groomed and finger groomed (Coco and Biscuit) in terms of curls.

My Post (7).png
120903648_10217878250568736_3922555687540556439_o.jpg
120764424_10217878252368781_6408356874495895733_o.jpg

I have 3 texels at the moment, what I do is keep the back end under the main bulk of hair, the genitals and back legs trimmed short, then it depends on how you want the hair really. If you dont mind it becoming poofy and frizzy, you can use a metal comb to brush them as needed, I find once a week is enough. If you want to keep the curls, you can groom with your fingers. Just run them through the coat separating the curls from each other and removing tangles. Keeping the whole coat trimmed to floor length so it doesnt drag on the floor also helps prevent tangles. Some are prone to dry skin, as with a lot of curly coated breeds, one of mine has awful skin bless her. Gorgeous guineas does a neem and manuka melt and shampoo which is great for dealing with it.

This is Thistle, Coco and Biscuit. Thistle the lilac tri colour is the one who suffers from skin issues so she gets combed regularly with a fine toothed comb to remove the flakes, you can see the difference between comb groomed and finger groomed (Coco and Biscuit) in terms of curls.

View attachment 156159
View attachment 156161
View attachment 156160

GORGEOUS! 🥰🥰🥰🥰😍😍😍

View attachment 156159
View attachment 156161
View attachment 156160
Thanks this is really helpful. Your ladies are beautiful!

Back