• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

The dreaded 'C' word (tumours)

Rainbowbright

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, we took our guinea pig to the vets on Monday after noticing a swelling in one of her cheeks.
It was drained and pus/bit of blood found. Tests taken. Suspected it to be an infection. Sent home with painkillers and antibiotics.
Results given today suggest that is cancerous tumours.
We cannot believe the news. We are. Totally devastated. Because of where they are located around her face there doesn't seem to be any treatment...
She turned 3 in June we rehome her from a rescue in July. She brings joy to us everyday through very tough family times.
I cannot tell you how amazing she has been taking her medicine. We thought the swelling had reduced. She still seems to have her appetite. We just believe it. Any advice or similar experiences shared would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for reading this post.

Bill & Ted

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
hello and welcome to the forum
I’m so sorry about your heartbreaking news x
I’m sure a member of the health team will be along shortly or someone with experience of this

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hello. . I'm sorry about this news. .
I'm no expert but I have experience with this and it's hard. . When i/we found out. . In the vets I picked her up and I told Cocoa that I would make her compy and I promised her she would not suffer.
Her cancer was on her lip and was evil. .
She lived for another few months and showed me how powerful a little poop machine could be.
You seem to know a lot about piggie illness and that's a great start. . . .
A lady gave me some advise and was very helpful . . You know she's ill but piggie doesnt . .
Hope that helps.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So sorry for the news- huge hugs sent to yourself it is absolutely heart wrenching to hear that. Is there a chance you would go to another vet clinic for a second opinion and get confirmation. You say they suggest, so is there a slight discrepancy?

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. :( Is it worth getting a second opinion, just because cheek/facial abscesses are so common and pus was found? Otherwise, it's so hard to be in this position... for myself it's all about quality of life and whether my pet is able to do the things that are normal and enjoyable to their species. If so, we keep on trucking with support and pain meds as needed... if not, hard decisions need to be made. ((HUGS)) and so sorry for your news.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this news.
When I was given a similar diagnosis for my Jemimah earlier this year it felt like a real body blow.
Remember that this kind of news means that you start to grieve so be gentle with yourself.
Your girl doesn’t know how I’ll she is. Guinea pigs live in the moment so give her lots of happy today’s and create good memories for yourself.
Keep her comfortable for as long as she has left.
You don’t have to cope with this situation alone.
A lot of us have similar experiences and can support you.
Keep everything on this thread so we know where to look.
Holding you in my heart