• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The great fleece Debate

Fleece or Bedding

• Total voters
I started with aubiose, but found that it got everywhere and that it really set off my allergies, and that it was incredibly dusty. It was a pain to poo pick, because it wasn't as simple as brushing it up with a dustpan and brush, and I like to keep the cage as clean as possible! And I found that it actually got quite smelly fairly quickly, despite cleaning out the dirty parts every day. And I hated the end of the week clean. Lots of waste, and it took ages!

I made my own fleece liners firstof all to test, by sewing together some cheap fleece with a mattress liner in the middle, and immediately loved them. They look nicer. Poo picking is a lot easier and takes less than half the time. End of the week change, you literally just pull the liner up, brush it off, stick it in the washing machine and replace it with the new one, and voila! Done. My guineas seem to prefer it.

I went back to aubiose while waiting for some liners to arrive for my boys' bigger cage, and it reinforced how much it didn't work for me. My boys also didn't seem to like changing back. They didn't tend to stretch out as much, whereas on the fleece they literally sprawl.

I have found that the bigger the cage, the much less you need to change the fleece. My girls have a smaller cage (hoping to get them a 5x2 soon) and need changing quite a bit more.

This is my issue, a whole garden sack full of Rubbish every week and it stinks. I'd much rather do the laundry given the choice

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

So the consensus is to try fleece out and if it's no good stay as we are.

I need, some fleece & an absorbent layer plus extra bits for under the hides. Plus a horse gear bag to wash it in?

Going forward it's Ziggy's piggies or guinea dad?

I’m one who switched from wood shavings to fleece and then back again.
Although the fleece was lovely I found I just couldn’t cope with laundry.
Wood shavings get a spot clean after about 4 days and a full clean once a week.
We all find the bedding that works best for us.

Pampered Piggies is another source of good fleeces

Our fleece cage liners from Pampered Piggies have such a thick absorbant layer sewn in they dont need any sort of base layer! But they are very bulky, the 6ft long one is a bugger to squash into the washing machine- the smaller 4ft ones are fine though :)

Our fleece cage liners from Pampered Piggies have such a thick absorbant layer sewn in they dont need any sort of base layer! But they are very bulky, the 6ft long one is a bugger to squash into the washing machine- the smaller 4ft ones are fine though :)

Ok great, I got in touch with them to see how much one would cost. Thanks!

I’ve been using fleece since I read about it on the forum years before I joined. The day I switched to fleece was like a Eureka moment and I’ve never gone back.
I don’t have “liners” as such so don’t have issues with absorbency, or weight in the washing machine. I keep changing my set ups according to who’s on foster with me so fixed size liners wouldn’t be flexible enough for me. I just buy cheap fleece blankets when I see them, hot wash them a few times and then if I’m feeling crafty I fold them over in half and cut them to rough size eg 3 x 2 or 2 x2 and hem them on my machine. Many of my fleeces are still in their blanket form and I simply fold them to shape in the cages to give a double layer of fleece wherever possible. I use several blankets or squares per cage. Under the fleece I use puppy pads or newspaper.
The benefit of several smaller fleeces is the ability to change a smaller area if it’s looking worse than another area and without changing the whole cage. I wash my fleeces in a horse wash bag. The machine can cope with the weight because there’s no lining and all debris remains in the wash bag. They dry very quickly on the outside line or in the garage
I’d never go back.

I’ve been using fleece since I read about it on the forum years before I joined. The day I switched to fleece was like a Eureka moment and I’ve never gone back.
I don’t have “liners” as such so don’t have issues with absorbency, or weight in the washing machine. I keep changing my set ups according to who’s on foster with me so fixed size liners wouldn’t be flexible enough for me. I just buy cheap fleece blankets when I see them, hot wash them a few times and then if I’m feeling crafty I fold them over in half and cut them to rough size eg 3 x 2 or 2 x2 and hem them on my machine. Many of my fleeces are still in their blanket form and I simply fold them to shape in the cages to give a double layer of fleece wherever possible. I use several blankets or squares per cage. Under the fleece I use puppy pads or newspaper.
The benefit of several smaller fleeces is the ability to change a smaller area if it’s looking worse than another area and without changing the whole cage. I wash my fleeces in a horse wash bag. The machine can cope with the weight because there’s no lining and all debris remains in the wash bag. They dry very quickly on the outside line or in the garage
I’d never go back.

Thanks for this idea Vicki! I am still thinking of what to do when my lot end up in the garage when we move. I am hoping to have lino on the floor (but that is still in debate with OH!), then waterproof mattress covers and on top of those I wasn't sure cos I don't really want to use the old duvets I use outside in the run at present cos they won't be big enough for a 16 sq ft run and a 9 sq ft run. I shall start looking out for cheap fleece blankets now.

Ok! I've ordered two sets of liners for my cage. I would have done a test, but I don't have time & would rather just commit. So many people swear by it and it seems very popular on here. I just need a horse washbag? Is that what I Search for? 😂🤔

Thanks for the tips guys. It's a two week wait which should take me neatly to the end of my aubiose bale.

Perfect thanks!

There are also other makers and sometimes on eBay you can find cheaper ones. They are in a sturdy very quick drying fabric that allows water and detergent through the fabric to wash the fleece then dirty water out but keeps in all the hay and hair. Washing machine saviour.

Thanks for this idea Vicki! I am still thinking of what to do when my lot end up in the garage when we move. I am hoping to have lino on the floor (but that is still in debate with OH!), then waterproof mattress covers and on top of those I wasn't sure cos I don't really want to use the old duvets I use outside in the run at present cos they won't be big enough for a 16 sq ft run and a 9 sq ft run. I shall start looking out for cheap fleece blankets now.

It’s not as pretty looking as other folks’ set up but it’s cheaper and more versatile. Works for me. I usually buy cheap fleeces from Ikea, Primark and the Range. I have large and small ones again to help with the patchwork in the cage set ups!

It’s not as pretty looking as other folks’ set up but it’s cheaper and more versatile. Works for me. I usually buy cheap fleeces from Ikea, Primark and the Range. I have large and small ones again to help with the patchwork in the cage set ups!
Not worried about how pretty looking it is Vicki just practicality and versatility as well as price is what I'm mainly looking for. :)

Back