The Jenius- Dick King Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just saw this little book about a clever Guinea pig, in the 5-8 year old fiction section at Waterstones, while I was out shopping. Picked it up to read to my class (6/7 years) as we are doing some work on Vets next term as part of a topic about keeping healthy, emergency services etc. (Ok and also for myself! :D ;)). Just read it on the train back, having not done so before and thought it was lovely! (Mostly) ;D Just wondering if anyone else had read it and what they thought?

cashmincal

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read it when I was younger, and I really enjoyed it! I think I may have the book around somewhere...

Clare

Reaction score
Forgot to say sweet little pictures too. Anyone know of any other guinea pig story books... other than Olga (I know about those)?

cashmincal

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Not really a story; but I found a guinea pig nursery ryhme in a Nursery Ryhme book a while back! I didn't know there was one! Pretty neat I think! :)

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i've used it at school for the last 2 years when we do the unit about charcters and again for when we have to write in the style of an author.

Both of my classes have loved it and I'm sure my new class will too!

T

thehappypig

I take it you guys are teachers? I'm hoping to go into teacher training in two years (long story...work in KS3 at the moment as LSA want primary TA job next year then will apply)..how do you find it?

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me and Susie are both Primary school teachers! We must be mad..............

I'll be starting my third year of teaching this year. Most of the time I totally love it but I do have to say that it is the hardest thing I have ever done! Nothing prepares you for the workload!

Starting as a TA is a great route in to teaching though.

If you have any questions or want to know anything give me a shout!

Reaction score
Hey Happy pig- yeah I'm a Primary School teacher too- Just about to start my second year of teaching. It is both much more challenging and much more rewarding than I anticipated. You could never say it was boring thats for sure!

Being a TA looks like a great job, you get to work with the children (I often think in a similar way to how I had time to when I was a stundent at the times I wasn't whole class teaching) and if you were to do the Higher Level Teaching Assistant thing you can earn up to £20,000 doing it. Being a TA will definately be a good insight into what its like in primary school... you fancy Ks1 or 2? I like KS1 and foundation Stage... love the littlys

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I saw one in Smiths (I like nosing round kiddies' books) called "The Guinea Pig in the Garage" - it was part of a series - "The whatever in the whatever". Can't remember the author though.

Reaction score
Guinea Pig in the Garage by Lucy Daniels. It was part of a kids magazine called Animal Ark

T

thehappypig

Thanks guys might have to give you a quick shout sometime! Quite fancy KS2...I love working with challenging kids in KS3 but don't want to teach my degree subject so I think years 5 and 6 would be good.
I work in an SEN unit and we have a book called "Guinea Pig Podge" very old book but very cute and yes I have sat down and read it ;D will try and find author when I get back and let you know...would be very cute for littley's!

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You don't have to teach your degree subject - a lot of courses are far more flexible now.

I have the Podge book - it has also been enjoyed by all my classes!

Status
Not open for further replies.