• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The Missing Piggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amyscoobybarnie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I came back from holiday the other day. I wanted to see the piggies but I was very tiered, so went to give them a cuddle and put them back in their outside hutch. Their hutch doors have always been stiff but this one time I didn't close it properly (I presume because I was tiered because I am usually triple checking the doors on their hutch). Around 2 hours later I checked through the window but the door was open. After running down stairs and doing a initial paniced and upset check of the garden Scooby was no where to be found. My mom went to opposite house to check their garden (First time we spoke to them I 10 years) and I went next door. My boy friend and dad went around the field and front of the house. 9 people were searching for this guinea pig (Including the neighbours). There was no sign of Scooby, I was so concerned that he had got caught by another animal or had just thought freedom and made a run for it. Which is always very possible. I had about given up and was very upset, Picked up Barnie for a cuddle and decided I would check the garden one more time. I got my dad and boyfriend to pick up a very heavy big hutch, As they did Barnie began to squeak louder, and Scooby was sat by his hutch just waiting to be found. I got some hay and lay down by him encouraging him to come to me (as didn't want him to run through the whole in the fence he was next to. But Scooby didn't, after a few minutes of talking to him, he ran up onto my chest. We took him inside and after a cuddle he was back to himself. I am a massive animal lover and sometimes worry that by keeping animals as pets it can be unfair, but this event just showed me how much my piggies really enjoy their life as pets.

Do no worry anyone I have now invested in another lock for the Hutcch which is not quite as stiff and can clearly be see as being closed.

Both barnie and Scooby are doing well.

I'm so pleased your story has a happy ending. I have put some extra latches on my hutch for the same reason. It is so important that everything is left safe for your guinea pigs - no matter how tired you are.

Glad that you had a happy ending. Guinea pigs are territorial and usually want to be back with their friends and in their home. If I have an ocassional escapee in my safe garden, I usually just do the food call and serve some veg; that brings them back invariably and saves me looking for them if they are hiding in the border.

Real run offs usually only happen when a new guinea pig gests spooked and lost. Dumped guinea pigs usually don't wander far - whatever their owners think!

Oh god what a terrible shock. I have been in this position before and it is awful.
I am so glad everything is alright now. x

Oh what an awful fright! I'm glad you found him again :)

Thats so cute that he ran up to your chest! I'm so glad everything turned out okay! :)

I'm so glad you found him safely! I had one scare when Sundae was younger when she managed to get under the walls of her pen while I was moving it. She was panicked to suddenly be 'in the open' and decide to run rather than freeze! Luckily I was able to get her before she could get underneath something. She obviously didn't want freedom, as her initial reaction was to be terrified! I think, after hundreds of years of domesticity, the typical pampered pig doesn't really want to make a go of it in the wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back