The Rainbow Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenny57

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I want to tell everyone that I feel like a total wimp for not posting replies on the rainbow bridge thread. I have had to stop reading them as it is heartbreaking and I cry constantly. I could not even face putting a post on myself when I lost my beloved Diesel back in November, my best Christmas present was the beautifully framed picture of him that I received from my equally heartbroken husband, it stands pride of place on my sideboard. My heart goes out to anyone who has had to post on rainbow bridge, you have more strength and eloquence than me, but I do care and I'm crying again.

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have to admit I feel the same. I do not often post on the rainbow bridge section, as I find it too upsetting to read. It is important to post however, to the originator of the thread. But I'm a total wimp.

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I felt the exact same when I lost Honey last September. Took me a lot of courage to even write something in the section and people write such lovely things that you cannot help but well up everytime. I hope you are ok x

jenny57

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I felt the exact same when I lost Honey last September. Took me a lot of courage to even write something in the section and people write such lovely things that you cannot help but well up everytime. I hope you are ok x
Thank yoiu aimzer I'm fine, I don't know what it is about guinea's that make me feel this way, maybe its because you have to do everything for them, when my cat Daisy passed away I was very upset and cried and cried but I was realistic as she was 16 had underlining illnesses and a broken leg. I can't explain it but guinea pigs have really gotten under my skin.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Me too. What makes me read the posts is I remember how supportive everyone was when I lost Monty. I cry whenever I read a post on rainbow bridge.

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a very emotional part of the forum. The thing what I always think is it is a lasting memorial to piggies we lose. As long as the forum exists people have somewhere to go to see memorials to piggies past. Some people can post in there - others find it too upsetting which is understandable. Do not feel bad at all Jenny x

gogoguineas

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, as a member of this forum you obviously care about all piggies!
I have lost 2 piggies in the last 12 months and haven't posted, for me it's because both leave an extraordinarily large hole in my heart and I miss them terribly. I'm sure there are many others who feel the same.
So don't feel bad, it's totally understandable :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Posting in the Rainbow Bridge section is not something that everybody can do, especially not after having recently lost a piggy of your own! Don't feel bad about it.
Some of the stories really get under your skin. I regularly shed tears when I post on the threads in there.

jenny57

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you all for understanding. It has made me feel better knowing that you do not think I am being disrespectful for not posting on the rainbow bridge, I really do care for evey piggie and owner who has gone through the nightmare, and I am proud to be amongst the most caring and friendly group of people on the net.

Guinea Slave

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I am the same. And for me each piggy is different depending on the circumstances around the loss. I feel awful as sometimes it really helps to post on there and brings back happy memories and the support you receive is a real healer. But like some of you, I find I cannot read many of the posts as I just find it too upsetting, end up in tears and dreadfully depressed as it often brings back memories. Indeed, sometimes after a particularly painful loss I cannot even come onto the forum for a while. I feel really bad about that but hope I can make up for it in other ways. In fact your post is a relief as I see others have the same issue.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am the same. And for me each piggy is different depending on the circumstances around the loss. I feel awful as sometimes it really helps to post on there and brings back happy memories and the support you receive is a real healer. But like some of you, I find I cannot read many of the posts as I just find it too upsetting, end up in tears and dreadfully depressed as it often brings back memories. Indeed, sometimes after a particularly painful loss I cannot even come onto the forum for a while. I feel really bad about that but hope I can make up for it in other ways. In fact your post is a relief as I see others have the same issue.
The grieving process, and how you react to your bereavement, is very individual, and it can also depend very much on the nature of the bond and the circumstances of the death of your pet. I have certainly been through all kinds of variations with piggies of mine! :(

The Rainbow Bridge section is there for anybody who wants or needs the support and for those who are feeling able to give it; it is an option, not a duty. You are free to post a tribute at any time - whether that is straight away, or weeks or even months later, or never - whatever is appropriate for you! There is also no obligation to comment in there if that is too upsetting for you.

Some people need to pull back into themselves first before they can share their loss; I am usually one of them, too. Reading those heart-felt tributes can trigger memories of your own and bring up all too painful flashbacks.

Sometimes, virtual hugs and messages of sympathy are just what you need. Having the opportunity to talk to people who really understand what you are going through can be a huge relief that helps the grieving process along or at least helps you make sense of your feelings and experiences; especially if you have lost a seemingly healthy piggy out of the blue or in those cases where you don't meet with a lot of sympathy and understanding from those around you.

It doesn't help that death has been very much marginalised and blended out in our current society; we have lost the close-knit extended families and communities as well as most of the rituals that used to help us cope with a bereavement. You are also much more likely to not lose a close family member at a young age due to the huge advances that medicine has made.
For many of our members, the loss of a pet is the first time in their lives they are confronted with death and the physical process of dying, without having any coping mechanisms at their disposal. It is important that we have got a place on here where those in need can come, but it is also important that you don't have to feel you need to give support when you yourself are not ready or equipped for doing so.
Being able to deal with grief and the grieving is often a very slow and gradual maturing process as you go through life with its fair share of pain, hurts and losses. We are not all born or trained ministers or nurses, and you are not any less valuable if you find that you just can't at any stage in your life. It doesn't make you any less a feeling and empathetic human being. ;)

Fortheloveofpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After 3.5 wonderful years my husband and I are left totally heartbroken at the loss of our beautiful, special boy (pictured in my profile photo) at 17:30 on Monday evening. The most unique and handsome piggy I've ever seen ❤ We think he had an underlying condition which caused him to go into gut stasis last week. We tried literally everything we could and spent hundreds of punds on trying to get him better but he was not eating or drinking much at all and was becoming so boney.

I returned from work (had to go in for a few hours but couldnt wait to get out and check on my baby) to find him lying on his side very limp. One of the worst moments of my life! Had to rush him to the vets where they reported there was nothing they could do and that he was more or less already gone. I wished my husband had been there with me but he was still at work. We took the decision to bring his beautiful little body home with us for some last cuddles, to say goodbye properly and to have one last night with him The next day (yesterday) we arranged for him to be collected and cremated by a company called Heart of England Pet Cremation in Warwickshire. We have decided to get his ashes put into a photo frame and a pewter love heart keepsake so that he can come back and still live with us in his home

We spent the whole of Monday evening and yesterday balling our eyes out for our baby boy. Like many pigs he had such a wonderful personality and was more like a puppy than a pig - always following us round the house making demands and entertaining us with his vibrant nature. He brightned my day every single day and I miss him so much my heart actually aches We have had some support from loved ones but very few people around us understand our loss as he was 'only a guinea pig for goodness sake' which is so unhelpful and totally belittles the pain we are going through. I wonder how many other people have experienced this reaction to their loss?

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to write this on here - it has helped. I still say good morning and goodnight to my boy and I always will. RIP my teddy bear x :soz::(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After 3.5 wonderful years my husband and I are left totally heartbroken at the loss of our beautiful, special boy (pictured in my profile photo) at 17:30 on Monday evening. The most unique and handsome piggy I've ever seen ❤ We think he had an underlying condition which caused him to go into gut stasis last week. We tried literally everything we could and spent hundreds of punds on trying to get him better but he was not eating or drinking much at all and was becoming so boney.

I returned from work (had to go in for a few hours but couldnt wait to get out and check on my baby) to find him lying on his side very limp. One of the worst moments of my life! Had to rush him to the vets where they reported there was nothing they could do and that he was more or less already gone. I wished my husband had been there with me but he was still at work. We took the decision to bring his beautiful little body home with us for some last cuddles, to say goodbye properly and to have one last night with him The next day (yesterday) we arranged for him to be collected and cremated by a company called Heart of England Pet Cremation in Warwickshire. We have decided to get his ashes put into a photo frame and a pewter love heart keepsake so that he can come back and still live with us in his home

We spent the whole of Monday evening and yesterday balling our eyes out for our baby boy. Like many pigs he had such a wonderful personality and was more like a puppy than a pig - always following us round the house making demands and entertaining us with his vibrant nature. He brightned my day every single day and I miss him so much my heart actually aches We have had some support from loved ones but very few people around us understand our loss as he was 'only a guinea pig for goodness sake' which is so unhelpful and totally belittles the pain we are going through. I wonder how many other people have experienced this reaction to their loss?

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to write this on here - it has helped. I still say good morning and goodnight to my boy and I always will. RIP my teddy bear x
I am very sorry for your loss! Most of us experience the same loss and the same lack of understanding from people who have no idea how much personality guinea pigs pack and how deep they build their nests in our hearts. It is one of the reasons why we support each other during this time.

You are most welcome to post a tribute to your special boy and share your precious memories with us if and whenever it feels right for you. If you wish, you are also welcome to open your own thread for ongoing moral support. What was your boy's name?

Fortheloveofpig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you Wiebke. Apologies, I'm not quiet sure where abouts I should post within the site....? So very true about how deeply you bond with guinea's - they are such little sweeties

His name was/is Piggie G (had about 40 nick names in total however, most often called 'Teddy' as he was a beautiful golden ginger colour and so cuddly)

We loved him so much we even had professional wedding shots taken with him - our family thought we were nuts! When I saw these photos for the first time I nearly cried (wasnt as bothered about the ones of me and my hubby! Lol)...

image.jpg
image.jpg

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Wiebke. Apologies, I'm not quiet sure where abouts I should post within the site....? So very true about how deeply you bond with guinea's - they are such little sweeties

His name was/is Piggie G (had about 40 nick names in total however, most often called 'Teddy' as he was a beautiful golden ginger colour and so cuddly)

We loved him so much we even had professional wedding shots taken with him - our family thought we were nuts! When I saw these photos for the first time I nearly cried (wasnt as bothered about the ones of me and my hubby! Lol)...

View attachment 27754
View attachment 27755
AWWW - he was a very special family piggy indeed and he will always remain a very precious part of your life. What wonderful pictures!

I have a few crested ginger piggy sows with similar markings who look like sisters to your Teddy-boy, so I am probably rather biased about his looks, anyway! :luv:

They are sending you lots of piggy kisses of comfort!

Here is the link to our Rainbow Bridge section; feel free to post pictures and stories and also talk about your loss anytime you think that it helps you. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/forums/rainbow-bridge-pets.16/

The time when you get his remains back and it is so very FINAL is usually the worst moment. Having to literally retrain yourself to get through the day without all the little, mostly unthinking ties and ways you used to connect with Piggy G is the hardest; and it can catch you out worst, bringing your loss crashing home all over again.
Sadly, gut stasis, like bloat, can kill, even with full hand feeding and immediate medical care. It is one of the nastier things a piggy can come down with. :(

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
For a while I was able to make a point of posting condolences on all the rainbow bridge posts, but since i lost my horse in March I have not been able to. its all just been so raw and hard for me and I am still actively grieving. @jenny57 I dont think you should beat yourself up about this. Diesel's passing is still so hard for you to deal with.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I go through phases of reading and posting replies on the Rainbow Bridge thread. I know what you all mean. I regularly weep when reading them but the forum is one of the few places where we owners can leave a lasting tribute to our fur babies in a supportive environment and it takes great courage to post a thread. I do try to send a virtual hug to those who've lost their piggies but I fully understand why people don't post on the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.