• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The ramp?

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, so i am going to bond my piggies again when Teddy is a bit better. But as their cage is a two tiered cage with a ramp, it’s a bit of a struggle trying to make them go up and down the ramp constantly. There is enough space for them on each level but if they want extra space if they have had an argument, they can go downstairs etc. One of them has gone down in the past but I put veggies down the ramp and he was frozen still. I’m not sure how to do it, so if anyone has any advice, that would be great. Thank you :)

Put something on the ramp so they have grip. And also think about putting a tunnel or ramps on it. Some take to it like a duck to water while others generally don’t like it. Just make sure the bottom floor is at least 150x60cm. Additional floors don’t count towards space requirements.

They need to feel secure on ramps. Ensure it isn’t too steep, that it had sides and as siikibam has said, that they have good grip
Do be aware though that as ground roaming creatures some will never be confident on ramps even after you’ve taken the steps above

Put something on the ramp so they have grip. And also think about putting a tunnel or ramps on it. Some take to it like a duck to water while others generally don’t like it. Just make sure the bottom floor is at least 150x60cm. Additional floors don’t count towards space requirements.
The ramp has gritty stuff stuck to it, is that okay? And the cage is big enough! Thank you for the advice. I have to hunt some tunnels, i used to use a really thick roll that lino used to be on, but i was always worried they would get stuck inside.

They need to feel secure on ramps. Ensure it isn’t too steep, that it had sides and as siikibam has said, that they have good grip
Do be aware though that as ground roaming creatures some will never be confident on ramps even after you’ve taken the steps above
It does not have sides at the moment. I’ll try and find some wood, wherever I look the queues are either massive or there isn’t any left! Thank you for the advice :)

Hi, so i am going to bond my piggies again when Teddy is a bit better. But as their cage is a two tiered cage with a ramp, it’s a bit of a struggle trying to make them go up and down the ramp constantly. There is enough space for them on each level but if they want extra space if they have had an argument, they can go downstairs etc. One of them has gone down in the past but I put veggies down the ramp and he was frozen still. I’m not sure how to do it, so if anyone has any advice, that would be great. Thank you :)

Unfortunately most ramps are designed too steep for ground roaming animal like guinea pigs.

I prefer to double-side taped carpet offcuts to ramps in my indoors cages for their excellent grip but also for good scent retention - piggies go where other piggies have gone before them. when the carpet is getting rather grotty, I replace it. This prevents accidents and allows even blind piggies to safely navigate a shallower ramp as they will follow the scent spoor.

Railings or fabric tunnels can also minimise the risk of accidents.

Unfortunately most ramps are designed too steep for ground roaming animal like guinea pigs.

I prefer to double-side taped carpet offcuts to ramps in my indoors cages for their excellent grip but also for good scent retention - piggies go where other piggies have gone before them. when the carpet is getting rather grotty, I replace it. This prevents accidents and allows even blind piggies to safely navigate a shallower ramp as they will follow the scent spoor.

Railings or fabric tunnels can also minimise the risk of accidents.
Okay! Thank you, i’ll look into putting a railing on it.

My two use their ramp in their hutch without any problems - it has pieces of vetbed stuck on it (not stuck permanently though, I can take them off to wash them) and they run up and down it absolutely fine.
They have, however, really struggled with ramps with the gritty grip stuff on them. the ramp in question was even less steep than their hutch ramp but they just wouldn’t use it (so therefore got rid of it altogether) and the only reason I can think is because of the grit stuff

You could perhaps use carpet tiles. I used it for the boys’ ramp and stuck it down with carpet tape

Hi! I put a railing on my ramp and my piggies were struggling to get up it. It has gritty stuff on, but I put fleece over but they were stuggling. I put a towel on it and am trying to make them go up and down constantly, without help. I am unable to get vet bed. Any suggestions? :)

Perhaps reduce the gradient of the ramp.
Some piggies just don’t like using them though and sometimes nothing you try will make them want to use an upstairs area.

You could try carpet tiles but I think it’s a case of they don’t like it rather than lack of grip. You can’t really make them go up it if they don’t like it 🤷🏾‍♀️

Hi! I put a railing on my ramp and my piggies were struggling to get up it. It has gritty stuff on, but I put fleece over but they were stuggling. I put a towel on it and am trying to make them go up and down constantly,

Perhaps reduce the gradient of the ramp.
Some piggies just don’t like using them though and sometimes nothing you try will make them want to use an upstairs area.
Berty went up it and won’t come down, so did Ted. There is hay missing and poops down there when I looked this morning, it would be helpful if they did go up and down. When we got them, the resuce told us a minimum cage size so we went and bought that cage size, and since I have become a member on the forum, I soon learnt it is small. But because I invested my money into this cage, I can’t afford a bigger one. I feel awful knowing it is too small, unfortunately I have no room for a shed, and my family members do not want them in the house. I know a a second level won’t add on space but I am hoping they would maybe go up and down to spend time away from one another. Thank you for reading, and ignore my message above, I don’t know what happened haha.

I don’t remember but are your parents not willing to help pay for a bigger cage? And are they in a hutch? If they won’t go up and down then no amount of bribery will help I’m afraid. Sorry.

other than trying different surfaces on the ramp, making the ramp less steep by propping it up with something, treats, time and patience and hope, then there isn’t much more you can do - climbing ramps isn’t really a natural thing for them

I don’t remember but are your parents not willing to help pay for a bigger cage? And are they in a hutch? If they won’t go up and down then no amount of bribery will help I’m afraid. Sorry.
They are in a hutch, and my parents helped buy this cage. They aren’t being extreme with each other, and there are plenty of hidies with 2 exits. Thank you for replying

Back