• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

the smell

lilyandluna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my house smells so much like hay! we switched to orchard grass but it still smells. people comment on it when they stay. advice?

If it’s good hay and the piggies are clean then it shouldn’t be an unpleasant smell.
You can smell hay as soon as you come into my house too as the guinea pig room is just by the front door.

My older sister is coming and she's allergic to anything animal related. My hay is high quality and I change there fleeces a lot.
Some people put baking soda underneath there fleeces.
Thoughts on that?

my house smells so much like hay! we switched to orchard grass but it still smells. people comment on it when they stay. advice?

Mine to ! Its not a bad smell because i keep it clean but i personally do not like the smell at all. I'm considering moving my piggys to the garage I'm just not sure if its to late in the year to move them and if I'm giving them enough time to get them used to colder temps.

My older sister is coming and she's allergic to anything animal related. My hay is high quality and I change there fleeces a lot.
Some people put baking soda underneath there fleeces.
Thoughts on that?

I havent tried that but i read somewhere that that is a good option for eliminating odor

I tried fleece as some many forum members use it.
I found it much more time consuming to keep clean because of the laundering.
I’ve gone back to wood shavings which works for me and the girls are happy.
Smells nice too.

A complete myth. Baking soda won’t do anything to reduce urine odour - only changing bedding frequently will do that. Baking soda probably wouldn’t be good for the pigs either. As for the smell of hay, then that is the nature of keeping hay eating animals. Hay should smell fresh and shouldn’t be unpleasant.

What absorbent layer do you have under your fleece?

Mine to ! Its not a bad smell because i keep it clean but i personally do not like the smell at all. I'm considering moving my piggys to the garage I'm just not sure if its to late in the year to move them and if I'm giving them enough time to get them used to colder temps.

Don’t do it, moving them from inside a warm house to outside in a cold garage af this time of year could be fatal for them.

I like the smell of hay, it makes me think of late summer days. It is certainly better than the smell of those horrible artificial air fresheners people use

Don’t do it, moving them from inside a warm house to outside in a cold garage af this time of year could be fatal for them.

ok :) thats what i was thinking. But i was wondering because I keep reading frost warnings on here is the UK colder then the US during winter time? Because its not that cold right now over here. I live in WA state so it can get pretty cold over here but it hasn't been to cold yet.

ok :) thats what i was thinking. But i was wondering because I keep reading frost warnings on here is the UK colder then the US during winter time? Because its not that cold right now over here. I live in WA state so it can get pretty cold over here but it hasn't been to cold yet.

From what I know of some US states, it is generally warmer over here in the uk in winter in certain areas. The further south in the uk you go, generally, it is warmer. In my area it has got down to 3 degrees overnight for the last few nights but it doesn’t normally happen this early. It’s going back to 8/9 degrees over night for the next few days. A normal winter for my area is around -5 overnight at the most, whereas much further north (Scotland) it’s probably -10/15 as a normal.

Surely its damper air here in uk in winter which makes a huge difference. I worked with polish and russians who all said they have much lower winters temperatures but god it feels cold here because of the damp air being a small island.
Depending where you are in usa though ofcourse

From what I know of some US states, it is generally warmer over here in the uk in winter in certain areas. The further south in the uk you go, generally, it is warmer. In my area it has got down to 3 degrees overnight for the last few nights but it doesn’t normally happen this early. It’s going back to 8/9 degrees over night for the next few days. A normal winter for my area is around -5 overnight at the most, whereas much further north (Scotland) it’s probably -10/15 as a normal.
here its like 57 degrees f so i think thats 14 degrees c. i will probably wait till next summer to get them used to garage living (if i can get myself to do it lol )

Yes absolutely, the damp makes a big difference. My husband is a bricklayer and he can tolerate the cold, but being wet and cold is what ruins his day!

Yes absolutely, the damp makes a big difference. My husband is a bricklayer and he can tolerate the cold, but being wet and cold is what ruins his day!
Yea i work on building sites sometimes and it is the worst feeling, numb fingers and stinging ear lobes, running nose and mud everywhere.

Back