• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The story of my brave pig!

Rhys.judge

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The story of chunk.

The beginning

June 2018. A decision to be made that would change the next three years of my life. I would be joined by two 4 legged friends that would define and make me into the man I am now. I remember the day well. It was a Cloudy day but with a warmth feeling in the air. A drive to two pet shops not with intention but with possibilities. Plenty of time to think as the day was filled with travel. We arrived at the shop not knowing my boys would be waiting for me on the other side of the glass. We wandered and gazed at all the little piggies. Still not knowing who would be the ones. Then it happened. Two small sweet boys glanced up in awe and without and thought or hesitation we found them. Gumbo. And Chunk. In a strange short time we had two guinea pigs in what looked like Chinese style takeaway boxes and on our way home. Settling them in was easy, a I began to quickly learn they were never going to be any trouble. The first day went fast but all I wanted to do was hold them. A stronger feeling of parenthood surrounded me, what do they eat, have they had a drink? Was there enough hay! But the two boys eased my fears and worries as I watched them together feast away.

The first six months

What a rollercoaster start to being a guinea pig dad. Watching the speed of the two gorgeous boys grow up makes your realise how wonderful these furry friends are. Being able to pick the up and sit in the palm of your hand to carrying them like small toddlers in the blink of an eye. Learning about the two personalities was a joy. A subdued quiet hiding gumbo, to a loud Proud and bold chunk. Demanding food when the fridge was used or squeaking at the top of his voice when a bag of crisps were opened. All the sweet tunes of the piggies were music to my ears and filled my heart with love hearing all the gorgeous melody’s they sang. Never could I have thought it would have been so easy with them. Never any hassle or grief, especially when it was cleaning day. A transfer to the run followed by an hour of constant eyes on me watching me refresh their home and waiting for a treat. I never stuck to a routine although with pigs they say you should. I have in to giving dinners early , or sneaking in that extra treat now and then. They both would give me the eyes and with my heart melting I couldn’t resist. I wouldn’t have changed a thing.

The first separation

Uh oh. Holiday season was in full swing and guinea pigs are not great travellers so leaving them was the only option. We had one or two small holidays booked so it was time to leave the little guys on there own for the first time. I was apprehensive as I felt I was the only one that knew the boys inside and out. Fearing leaving them in another pair of hands frightened me, but having seen the amazing two grow up so fast I knew I could leave them knowing they would take the Raines. I purchased a small camera which turned out to be the best viewing I’d ever seen. Watching gumbo sleep in a bowl , to chunk chewing away at his favourite treats. I had nothing to worry about. Every day the holiday went past I couldn’t wait to come back and hold my boys. The journey home would feel like it took ages but when I finally reached the front door, I was welcomed with the weeks I’ll never forget. I was home.. I was back with my boys.

The next two

The next two years were similar to the first. More piggies growing up , more squeaks , more vegetables! But mainly more parsley! Having tried so many foods the one guilty pleasure the boys loved was parsley. Especially that chunk. He would climb the door , he would do laps of cage he would popcorn till he flew to the moon when he new the bag of parsley was on its way. When I opened that cage door he would nearly fall head first out just the be the first to get his sprig! He would always share and wait for Gumbo to get a look before snapping up more and more. Finding out all the different quirks both the piggies have was interesting. Gumbo giving chunk a nip on the bottom to get tag started , or chunk stealing hay from gumbos mouth to get the popcorn game begun. And two discoveries that I would hold onto forever. When I would whistle, chunk would answer back. It was like we understood each other. I would whistle he would squeak back. I smiled right back to my ears knowing my boy could hear and understand me. Poor gumbo never makes a sound. But on one random day in the summer I heard him! A faint but sweet squeak. Just to let me know he’s still there. Mind you he’s never done it since.

New toys and a new hutch, but a chewing boy!

As the years went by I would try the boys with so many different toys. From Brussels sprout balls to a circus cannon nothing seemed to last that long. Chunk had a set of teeth that could go through lead! So much so we had to invests in a bigger cage. One with stairs , rooms , and 2 story’s high. Some would call it a mansion! Chunk however called it his chew toy! And within weeks he had chewed every nook and cranny going. Especially the stairs. He nor gumbo ever went upstairs. Maybe they were afraid of heights! They were living the life of luxury and I was so happy to provide it.

The beginning of the start

2 and a half years had past at this point. We had just gone through a year like no other. Pandemics, lockdowns etc! But stay at home was a chance for me to stay with the boys more than I’ve ever done. I’d say that year we got to know each other more than ever. So much so I would notice the slightest of changes in them both. Eating habits, gumbos playfulness and chunk, the wonderful chunk who would be a delight to watch day in day out. Seeing things he would do as I left the house in the past, a toy story feel if you like. Gumbo also , being egged on by a cheeky chunk. Some may say the lockdown was hard , I say a blessing as I got to spend more time with the boys I love more than ever.

The final stretch

We had a wonderful Christmas.! Restrictions lifting slowly meant some normal was returning. Normal for us anyway the pigs knew no different. Going about there piggy ways day in day out making sure the veg , nuggets water and poop went in and out in and out. This however on one random day in January wasn’t the case. Chunk had hunched up. Sheepish. Not eating and quiet. Something was up. And for a few scary days i would have sleepless nights wondering why what and how. Chunk would have an off day now and then but never turned down parsley. And I monitored him week after week things didn’t get better. And after a few google searches it was time to do something.

The vets.. not the vets!

It was vet time. Chunk was booked in I couldn’t wait any longer. The first time since that Chinese takeaway box , he was leaving the house! Never had the pigs been apart either. It’s was a strange day, nothing was normal, things were turned upside down to the normal wake up eat drink sleep repeat. The time came and the vet was ready. We handed him through the door and the anxious hour began. Sitting in your car waiting for the call that would either change your life forever or ease the scary doubts looming. Ring ring. I answered with hope and a soft voice on the line reassured me it was a little issue and nothing to worry about. I Celebrated like I’d won the lottery. I rushed to the door grabbed him and took him back to where he belonged. Home. Home with me and his brother.

Wait.. vets again? And medicine?

Yup. That’s right. That celebration lasted a matter of weeks. Things got better. Then worse. Then better again. But things were not quite right. I knew my chunk. And he wasn’t quite back yet. I needed a second opinion. Which again I got from the vet with more caution , but still with plenty of hope things would be okay. This time I would be going home with a pig and some medicine. And the long process to recovery would begin. The fun and games of getting a pig to accept something that wasn’t green and grown was mission impossible. But chunk would never make it hard. In fact it turned into a game. Could I remove the syringe before he got the bite. Our daily routine began with the hope my chunk would be chunk again.

3rd time lucky

Chunky.. my poor little chunky. Fighting a battle while making sure everyone was okay around him first. I couldn’t watch on as things got a little worse. I tried a new vet. 3rd times a charm, and by now the little four legs was used to getting into his box, being strapped in and taken to a strange new world. The vet was optimistic. A tummy but maybe but more medicine for the little man. Accepting this a new routine for his meds brought us closer and closer. Surly we had finally cracked it. Signs of the old chunk had returned. Normal poop to squeaking louder than ever! Evening laying down in the sun! I felt hope and happiness as the colour in his cheeks returned. But things would slowly start again to dip. But I never gave up that hope and positivity.

Leaving the house... but for good this time.

It was April. It was moving time. Not just to a new hutch but to a new home. The boys and I packed our things abs headed for a new horizon. Chunk held gumbo close as the pair got into a box for the first time since the start. Gumbo feared what was outside but the experienced chunk helped him every step of the way making sure the 2 minute drive was as smooth as it could be. A new hutch awaited, no more roof , no more sawdust. Just a luxury home with soft bedding and new toys. A new way to see the boys in full view. Chunk and gumbo adapted so fast. Even though it’s was clear they were nervous.

The final hurdle, the final day.

Despite all this change and positivity it was hard to forget that poor chunk was struggling through. He would show signs of his old self with constant squeaks and playful actions. But deep down the issues grew stronger. Every night the boys would curl up together , gumbo making himself a bed for chunk to lay on. An act of pure love between them as they were more than just Guinea friends. One final attempt to get chunk better. More medicine. More food. It worked some days and others it did not. He gave it his all. Making sure that everyone was okay before he’s would even think of himself. Then the day we all feared was looming. A thought weekend saw chunk develop a new problem. An ear infection. He was in pain, stumbling around the cage like he’d been on his best night out. But with that shone his personality of never giving up. Being the first to the food and drink. Being the one to patrol the cage. He was despite the pain.. chunk. And after 6 months and one week of battling it was his time. Waiting for me to have one last cuddle he went to bed for the night. I woke up to see and calm sleeping chunk, laying down for the first time in months. He had gone. Gone to the better pain free world he deserved. Having made sure me and gumbo were okay before making the last journey of his life. The sweet caring gorgeous pig I called my boy had gone. And in a bitter sweet way I and happy abs sad to see him go. Fighting everyday to keep me abs gumbo happy. Giving me the best times of my life. And being there when I and gumbo felt alone. He was an amazing boy. And I’ll never forget him till the day I die.

The ending....

This is by no means the end. But just the start. My boy has gone but I have his memories to last a lifetime. Me and gumbo will go on. We will stick together more than ever. And with chunks fighting spirit and cheeky ways we will go though life happier and stronger. Good night my precious boy. My solider who fought right till the end. Even though he was a small guy, He was stronger than me. Sleep tight. Sleep comfy. Rest in peace. And hay , you finally got that carrot.

Love you to fridge and back. Xxxxxxx

What a lovely life Chunk had with you. Cherish the memories. He will always be in your heart. Rest in peace Chunk.

What a lovely tribute. Give gumbo an extra treat from me. Hopefully chunk will have made a pig sized hole in your heart that will go on to be home for many more piggies over the years as it's clear you're an amazing piggie dad.

Rest in peace little one. 🌈

What a lovely tribute to Chunk and a celebration of his life. I’m so sorry you lost him despite all your best efforts. treasure your memories x
Sleep tight brave boy 🌈

What a lovely tribute to Chunk. It brought tears to my eyes.
He will leave a huge hole in your life.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

@Rhys.judge
With tears I reply to you.
That must have been very hard to write. . Not takin away your lovely life with Chunk. My 1st deeply loved piggie to this day I can't fully give him a rainbow tribute as it dam well hurts
You captured lots moments a lot of us will have had. . Oh wow what a journey you guys had.
If it helps I'm 4 years ahead of you and I have piggies that I love deeply. Xx
How is Gumbo .
Well Chunk you find Pedro at rainbow world and have a play. RIP xx

What a lovely tribute to a very well loved piggy!
@Rhys.judge
With tears I reply to you.
That must have been very hard to write. . Not takin away your lovely life with Chunk. My 1st deeply loved piggie to this day I can't fully give him a rainbow tribute as it dam well hurts
You captured lots moments a lot of us will have had. . Oh wow what a journey you guys had.
If it helps I'm 4 years ahead of you and I have piggies that I love deeply. Xx
How is Gumbo .
Well Chunk you find Pedro at rainbow world and have a play. RIP xx

Thank you for replying. It’s helping telling our story. It eases the pain. I’d love to hear about your first piggi. But only when you can :) I hope Pedro finds chunk. X

Back