• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

The strange creature that is Phoebe Jeebie

Status
Not open for further replies.

amywithpiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Phoebe has been acting so strangely lately. First she tries to really hurt Poppy. Then she is guarding her food from her. When the were separated she was rather happy pottering around the cage. Now she has been moving lots of sawdust into her house (something she has never done) and has gone... a funny shape. I can feel two hard lumps in her belly.
So tomorrow she is going to the vets to be checked out. I really hope she's not pregnant! If she is then it's down to Pets At Home since I've not had her the 10 week gestation period yet.
On the other hand, I'm in a debate as to what sex Poppy is. It's so hard to sex her. Sometimes she looks male other times she looks female. So bizarre ?/
So if Phoebe is pregnant then this will be an interesting time since I've never had a pregnant pet before! Hmm.

If you have been unsure of her sex should you not have got that checked at the vets sooner?

I was told she was female when I got her and I've looked at the pictures available. She does seem to be female since she doesn't particularly look like my boys.

Can you take a picture of their bits and we maybe able to help.

If you had any doubts atall you really shouldn't have put them together but whats done is done.

It wasn't that I 'put' them together they were together when I got them and I got them both so as not to split them up. But yes I will take some pictures soon.

It happens quite often with Pet Shops, being unable to sex pigs adds to the amount of unwanted animals every year.

That is why I believe Animals should not be sold in pet shop. I do hope for Phoebe benefit she isn't pregnant as I imagine she is a baby herself, that is ofcourse if she was bought from pets at home.

Unfortunately some places just aren't reliable for sexing - I don't blame you for trusting in what you were told, Amywithpiggies. Most people don't expect to be getting pets from people that aren't sure what they're doing, because you figure that they're the ones in a position of knowledge and you're happy with your pair.
You seperated them which was the responsible thing to do.

Hopefully she's good and healthy regardless of the outcome - best of luck with dealing with things if she does turn out to be pregnant, and finding good homes for the babies (and maybe neutering Poppy if they turn out to be male and trying to re-introduce?).

Since I'm taking Phoebe to the vets tomorrow I'm going to take Poppy as well to see what they say. If she is male then I'd consider introducing her to my two boars and finding a female friend for Phoebe (and making sure this one IS female!). But hey all this might be my mind playing tricks on me. Phoebe might just be a funny shape and Poppy might be female as I was told.
We shall see.

Some piggies really are not all that easy to sex!

I really hope that Phoebe is not pregnant, but I'm sure that you will keep us updated. It is a good idea to have her checked by the vet. He may also give you a rough idea of how far along she is if she was pregnant. How many weeks have you had her now exactly? From the description, she would probably be at least 6-7 weeks along. There is lots of help and support in the pregnancy section if you need it.

PS: I started my adult piggy life with having a couple of surprises after 7 weeks (happened during transport to the shop!) and nobody could give me a definite answer (not even the vet) which gender mummy's supposedly female companion really was... I used to joke that I had one female that was a bit too much and one that was a little bit too little female! - Thankfully, they turned out to be all female.

Eep I just worked out I've had Poppy and Phoebe for 12 weeks now! So if she is pregnant then Poppy must be male. That's... not good. But tomorrow will reveal what needs to be done.

Well I'm taking my girls to the vets at 4:30pm so fingers crossed it's just been my mind playing tricks on me! Either way at least I will know that they are healthy. My boys are going next week for a check up since I can't take all four at once :)

I've never been this relieved in all my life! Poppy is very much female, although the vet said without a real close examination it would be hard to tell.
Phoebe change shape because she properly hit puberty since she is 6 months old, not 4/5 like I thought.
Poppy on the other hand was probably only 5/6 weeks old when I got her which is why she is much smaller. She only weighs 470g bless her and she is probably a runt of the litter.
But yay, both my girls are fit and healthy according to the vet and she told me that pellets are much better for piggies so I'm gradually going to introduce the pellets then get them on them entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back