• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

The Worse Part Of Meds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAurora

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I bet everyone who administers medication experiences this and finds it heart rendering ... but Casran, who loves his morning cuddle, ran away and wouldn't let me pick him up today. He obviously knows it's eye drop time. You just can't explain to them can you!

Back to the vet this afternoon - fingers crossed for significant improvement x

It is horrible, when we have had to do things with ours, they often will struggle and try to get away - this was the case with Cookie when putting cream on her belly for fungal early last year :(

They soon forget it though when you stop, so don't worry it won't last forever, you'll get your cuddle pig back. Good luck with the vets today x

I know the feeling! When Itsy had a chin abscess which needed to stay open and be flushed a few times a day (and this abscess re-occurred 3 times) she would run and hide at me simply entering the room but @sport_billy is right. They will forget and trust you after, sometimes even more as you were so close and personal for a while. I noticed that with Itsy, she never allowed me to stroke her in C&C but now she does and enjoys it too.

I know what you mean too, hopefully once he stops needing them he will soon forget. We find that pigs on long term meds (like the heart pigs) get used to it eventually and even come trotting over for them. It takes a while to get to that stage though.

I have to medicate and provide supportive care for a large number of piggies here at TEAS. Some of them are needing long term medicating and each an every one of them becomes more confident and friendly over this time. I am sure they do realise that what you are doing is helping them. People often comment on how easily I can pick up any of the piggies here, and they don't run away, and that is because they are used to being handled regularly, even if this is often for medicating or syringe feeding.

Having to medicate a piggy that doesn't want it can be upsetting - but thankfully, piggies are very forgiving and go back to their previous behaviour once they realise that you are no longer picking them up for that. Seriously ill or piggies with long term issues actually discover that you are making them better and will become much more cooperative and in some cases even eager, especially if it tastes good!

Thank you so much everyone x

I hope all goes well at the vets! I too know this feeling, my poor piggy is on medication and knows when he is getting it in the morning. He runs away and will not let me give him his medicine! Thankfully he lets me give him a lot of cuddles later in the day after he has stopped sulking!

Well tonight after I gave him his drops, Casran sat licking the palm of my hand and the inside of my wrist for a few minutes - maybe he understands more than I give him credit for x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back