• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

They bonded! I think.

MonkeyPig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I followed the information in the bonding forum here, every step, and after about an hour my 2 boars bonded I think. They're now back in the freshly cleaned and sanitized 2x3 home. I'm expanding to 3x4 when I move in mid-June. So far so good. A lot of humping by my older guy Monkey. Baby Monkey was very submissive. They're eating, drinking water and resting now. And playing sometimes I think. Fingers crossed. :) ps. I have Monkey scheduled for neutering on the 2nd. The baby is too young yet I think.

Attachments

• 9iBJpb+5TeGvoCZS+CDLIQ.jpg
    9iBJpb+5TeGvoCZS+CDLIQ.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 7
Yay that sounds promising. How old is baby and have you two of everything? May I ask why you’re getting Monkey neutered?, you planning to put him with a girlfriend?

Yay that sounds promising. How old is baby and have you two of everything? May I ask why you’re getting Monkey neutered?, you planning to put him with a girlfriend?
Thanks! I made the appt in the heat of the moment today when Monkey was humping Baby Monkey so much. It was ALOT for the first 30-40 mins. None now, just some skittering around, bouncy and stuff. I have read since tho that it isn't the best or even do anything to calm his teenager-y side. The baby is 5-6 months and Monkey is just about a year - thats what they said at the adoption place. I couldn't find a boy at the shelters or rescues so I feel bad but I got the baby at the pet store. I just didnt want to wait any longer. The more I read about them being herd animals the sadder I got. Having horses I completely understand the need for them to be a part of a group even if only 2.

Unfortunately neutering doesn’t change behaviour/dominance. It just stops them making babies.

Just be aware that baby is at the beginning of the teenage phase. But you never know, he could stay the underpig.

Humping is also normal. 30-40mins isn’t that bad 😁 my boys (same age) were at it for at least an hour...well, the dominant one was anyway

Unfortunately neutering doesn’t change behaviour/dominance. It just stops them making babies.

Just be aware that baby is at the beginning of the teenage phase. But you never know, he could stay the underpig.

Humping is also normal. 30-40mins isn’t that bad 😁 my boys (same age) were at it for at least an hour...well, the dominant one was anyway
Ok I lied a little, it was more like an hour and a bit. :( sorry for misleading that. I think I was trying to act like everything was a breeze. I appreciate your honesty bc it made me be honest. :) Anyway on to lighter things, I think I'll cancel the appt if there's no reason for it. Don't need to have extra surgery for nothing and put him under for nothing. Again, thank you. And sorry I wasn't honest about the length of time it took Monkey to stop humping either.

Don’t worry about it. It’s fine as long as they’ve calmed down now. Try and have them out regularly as their cage isn’t really big enough for boars. They’re so temperamental! 🙄

:agr:. I think people get mixed up with rabbits and guinea pigs with neutering.

Don’t worry about it. It’s fine as long as they’ve calmed down now. Try and have them out regularly as their cage isn’t really big enough for boars. They’re so temperamental! 🙄
Thanks and I'll bring them out more - I brought Monkey out last night but not both together. I was nervous. Neither bite - so far. Haven't since I've had them both. I'm building out the cage mid-June when I move so hopefully Baby stays small until then. I'm cancelling my appt today. Sounds like a waste of money then. What are the chances that Baby Monkey goes through puberty and they start fighting? I didn't realize that it was a potential problem. :( Upside, they made it through the night and each slept in their own hidey hut and are both eating this morning. Sometimes from the same bowl and sometimes by themselves in each bowl. Baby Monkey already got Monkey to eat a piece of bell pepper this morning. He hadn't tried veggies before. I need to read more about the feeding schedule because I fed Pickle whenever she weaked not knowing that it was too much :(.

I would let them out together. There may be more rumbling and humping in a new space, but this is normal. I've bonded boars who have done the rumble/hump for days never mind hours. I know I have been lucky but in almost 20 years I've only had one failed attempt, with a very nervous pig, who made it clear instantly that he didn't like the newcomer. Teeth bared, hackles up, backed into the opposite corner of the room. I really would not worry that you have seen domi ance behaviour, remember that it is not mean, but just them making working out where they stand. Also again I may have been lucky but I've never had a bond break. By the time the baby is teenage, the older one will be out of the teenage phase and likely a little more patient. Frequent floor time will ensure they are not cramped until you get your bigger cage, but I still think the benefits of them living in the 2 x 3 together outweigh the benefits of space, but with no companion, especially as Monkey doesn't seem to have been taught normal Guinea things like eating veg, poor guy. Well done you for doing what is right by him!

Thanks so much, I really do appreciate it. Last couple days have been stressful. Yesterday I worked from home, today in the office. Fortunately I came home to both alive and well. Have a question for you, Could Monkey already be depressed bc of his new roommate? He usually greets me when I come home form somewhere but today he was laying in his house taking a nap. I guess I thought they would be sleeping together and playing more but that's probably down the line and I just need to be patient. I'm gonna let them have some floor time this evening, see what that does. By the way until I got Pickle (rest in peace Piggy), I had no idea that keeping these guys in those store bought cages wasn't a good idea. I was just lucky I was able to afford the bigger one after I got her and liked it better but only because I thought it looked better in my house, not bc I knew pigs need more space. So glad I read about that when I got her. She was only in the store bought ones for 2 weeks until I got the new habitat set up. Monkey's been in the 2x3 since I've had him. But those cages at the store are so small and I'm understanding more why they need the extra room. Monkey especially bc his butt is HUGE! Anyhoo, thanks again for the advice. I'll keep you posted if ok as to the progress of the bonding. :)

Boars don't always express friendship in an obvious way. They may never cuddle up together but that's OK, you wouldn't sleep in the same bed as all your buddies when there are beds to go around! Sometimes you may not see them interact much at all but that doesn't mean they are not much happier and confident with another piggie there. You have already seen Monkey try veggies, which shows a gain in confidence.
As long as he is still acting like himself when he is running about and not napping I wouldn't worry. It sounds like he is the dominant pig so I don't think bullying or such is an issue for him right now. Remember before when you came home, you came home to a pig who had been alone and perhaps bored and may have been lonely and so showed a stronger reaction when you came in. Now he'll have been having as much interaction with baby monkey as he wants and may just have needed a power nap! Keep doing the usual, weigh weekly etc but so far it doesn't sound like anything to worry about. When a boar doesn't like another boar they will let it be known!

Boars don't always express friendship in an obvious way. They may never cuddle up together but that's OK, you wouldn't sleep in the same bed as all your buddies when there are beds to go around! Sometimes you may not see them interact much at all but that doesn't mean they are not much happier and confident with another piggie there. You have already seen Monkey try veggies, which shows a gain in confidence.
As long as he is still acting like himself when he is running about and not napping I wouldn't worry. It sounds like he is the dominant pig so I don't think bullying or such is an issue for him right now. Remember before when you came home, you came home to a pig who had been alone and perhaps bored and may have been lonely and so showed a stronger reaction when you came in. Now he'll have been having as much interaction with baby monkey as he wants and may just have needed a power nap! Keep doing the usual, weigh weekly etc but so far it doesn't sound like anything to worry about. When a boar doesn't like another boar they will let it be known!
Thanks so much for your time. :) I took them both out for some floor time and they ran around w no humping. So on the down times he could be catching some zzzz's now that Baby is here. New roommates are exhausting. LOL. By the way I measured him. He's 12 inches long! That's from nose to butt when he's stretched out. Not sure when he'll stop growing but if he doesn't I'll need an even bigger place than the one they're getting in June when I move. Yikes.

Just remember whatever you do, Monkey (dominant one) always goes first.

And this isn't even when he's stretched and walking. Baby Monkey is so teeny tiny.

Attachments

• ZwPR7RCdRzWIhBSQW6hGKA.jpg
    ZwPR7RCdRzWIhBSQW6hGKA.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2
Back