• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

they just sit there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
we have had our girls for a month now and when we take them out to play in the house they just sit there. they don't run around or anything.
are they still getting used to their surroundings when hold them everyday.
1 is 7 months and the other is a year old. do i need to entice them a bit more or what

Sometimes it can be a bit over whelming seeing a big open space - maybe give them some things to hide in whilst they are out and then they may feel more obliged to go out and explore.

Most guinea pigs are frightened of open spaces; birds of prey are one of their main predator, and that instinct runs deep!

Try to fill the space with cardboard box hides, areas where they can tunnel under some ratty towels and serve a bit of a treat to lure tham out again. At that age, most piggies beocme a bit more sedate than the hyper youngsters, but they are not too old to enjoy exploring!

Here are more tips for cheap and easy toys:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43520

I can relate to this too. When I bring our two out into the lounge floor space, they usually run to the side of the chair and cwtch by the radiator. This went on for a while at one point.

Usually, whoever leads, then the other will follow, even if it's Dotty (10 months), Maisy (4/5 years) will immediately follow very quickly behind her. :)

By doing similar to what Wiebke suggested, this helped a lot. So, I now put some scattered newspaper on the floor and/or in the areas that they stop, together with a cardboard hideaway and some hay and they seem to feel more reassured.

Often though, they will just 'sit' and 'stare' and I even say to them, "Well, fancy that, I've given you all of this floor space and more and all you decided to do is sit in a corner." The only response I get is a sniff in the air and little noises LOL! ;)

Don't worry too much, I'm sure you're little ones will venture out a little further, as the time goes on. Ooh, plus another thing we've done as a family, is lay on the floor (not all together mind lol) ;) on our side and we've found that they usually come over and investigate and sit in the space where you bend your elbow. Worth a try!

Last edited:
Calling it run time, can sometime violate the trade descriptions act! Our pigs often just treat it a time to sit in their house in bigger surroundings!

As others have said - make sure the run/play area is full of interesting things such as cardboard kitchen roll tubes stuffed with hay, Tubes to run through and a few cardboard boxes to make tunnels, it will help them feel more secure and give them something to be inquisitive over and explore.
We buy Hay tubes from Pets@Home these go down a treat and guaranteed to entice out our pigs.
We'll often hide veg's all round the run and this seems to get them moving more also.

Hi. When I got dave he just sat there also. I thought there was something wrong with him but it took a few
Months and he was scurrying around enjoying the hunting. I like the others' ideas of putting things out as
Places to hide in as they can be scared if they don't have a hidey spAce. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back