• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

They're all scratching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gothchick1515

I only noticed this morning when i woke up, i heard Zubin scratching but because hes not got any signs of mites thought he was just itchy then i Eddie did it, which ok he does imitate Zubin alot so he might be copying him but then i fed harry and he did it too! So i got them all out one by one and searched for any sign of mites and there was nothing there! on any of them! and they would be very obvious on Harry because hes white head to toe! any ideas what this could be, they had a bath in there shampoo the other day because they where going to my nans and i wanted to make sure they where clean that should have shifted any bugs but they are still scratching and i cant go the vets with them because I'm going on holiday first thing tomoro they dont seem any different just keep scratching could it be there bedding they had woodshavings and hay? or something else? any ideas? x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
It could be mites - not always you can spot them.

Tonic's always having a little scratch although he ain't got anything... Maybe sometimes they just have an itch!?

G

gothchick1515

Hmm maybe, our vet told us that if they had mites they're fur would look all ruffled and it doesnt its weird! We sometimes have flamming mice in their cages so i was wondering if mice carried a mite that i couldnt see? ill tell my nan and then give her our vets number if she needs to take them she can x

bevs

Reaction score
How much scratching is normal?

G

gothchick1515

Yeah good question, its not constant so maybe they are just hot and bothered! my room is a sun trap so it might be there hot and sweaty, do piggies sweat? x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
No, piggies don't sweat - it is thought that they lost their tails because without them they can cool down better.

How much scratching is normal? Well I would say (this is my opinion and through experience) that for a quick 2 second scratch now and again is fine and means nothing.
If it's quite a long, hard scratch then it needs checking.

If you think when we have a sudden itch we just scratch don't we? Doesn't mean that we have something either, but if we keep scratching the same place then we get it checked.

Yes? No? ;D That make sense? ;D

G

gothchick1515

Yeah its not a long scratch just sitting there eating or chilling then they scratch and go back to it, Ed seems to do it almost straight after Zubin so i think hes copying him, and then Harry does do it a while after so i think it might just be a wuick scratch x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
If it's more than a few scratches in an hour then I would say it's possible they have mites. All my lot lot have the odd quick scratch but no more in than 2 in about an hour, sometimes longer

bevs

Reaction score
Was just about to ask how often is now and again, then you answered my question, a couple an hour ;D

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can't really see mites with the naked eye - they live under the skin. It is lice that you can see - they look like little tiny grains in the coat. I'd be bathing them all with Gorgeous Guineas asap as this is not a good time of year for any potential skin problems.

Also - have you checked for signs of fungal skin - that makes them very itchy and again there seems to be an awful lot of it around this year. Fungal can be fatal so check them really carefully!

G

gothchick1515

I'm on holiday so i cant do anythin till i get back which wont be for a week i didnt see mites and there skin looked fine the had a dip in there shampoo before we took them to my nans x

Status
Not open for further replies.